PDA

View Full Version : Really Weird Behavior, Sick?

Really Weird Behavior, Sick?

g124v17y
05-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Hello friends,

My striped corn snake (spot), regurged about a month ago.
I followed protocol to the T and everything seemed to be going well. He was very active and happy and was finally getting used to his viv.

Now however, the past couple of days I have noticed a change. He is much less active and staying in one spot most of the time. He doesn't respond to water or blowing on him, and when I touch him he barely reacts. Now, normally if I would even try to pick him up he would bolt away at the speed of light and I would have to catch him. Now he doesn't even unravel, he just lays there and lets me pick him up.
He is also leaning to the right. What I mean by this is that normally he would look straight forward and flick his tongue a lot, and now, he leans his head to the right and just lays there.
He is barely flicking his tongue, which he normally does a lot when not in his viv. Lastly, on his butt, (the flap where he poops out of) it seems that some poop has caked on there and dried. I attempted to put him in a bath and try to take it off but it seems to be stuck to his scales, and I am afraid to tear them off. I will take him to the vet ASAP but considering it is memorial day, that probably won't be today. Any help would be great, sorry for the long post.

Roy Munson
05-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Those aren't good signs. If you really care about the snake, and you think there's hope, by all means take him to a vet. I don't think there's much to hope for, however. :(

g124v17y
05-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm hoping that there is some chance for him. This is my first snake and I really wanted to see him grow up. Any ideas on what it could be?

clipclopclip
05-26-2008, 07:20 PM
I agree with Dean. A vet trip sounds like the best option. To be honest, though, it sounds like he doesn't have much of a chance. But if you really want to know what is going on then bring him to a herp vet.

Roy Munson
05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm hoping that there is some chance for him. This is my first snake and I really wanted to see him grow up. Any ideas on what it could be?I have no idea what the specific problem is. If your husbandry and practices have been good, then you could just go with the general "failure to thrive" assessment. To be honest, if he's already listless and unresponsive, a vet visit will probably just finish him off. I would probably euthanize the snake, but you have to do what you think is right.