PDA

View Full Version : Snappy rat snake - any ideas?

Snappy rat snake - any ideas?

willameesh
05-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a rat snake who I handle regularly and is always good natured if not a tad jumpy (he's only small so thats understandable), and he often tries to "do a runner" but doesn't ever snap. Untill the other day! I had not handled him for about a month due to new job and moving house - he is still at my parents untill I am settled! (lots of building etc....) He came out well and after his initial trying to escape he calmed down. I was in the living room talking to my mum and looked down to see him watching me in a defensive aggressive stance. Thought nothing of this untill he took a swipe at my face!! I managed to move in time and he just clipped my chin!

Safe to say it freaked me out - I've had snakes 5 years and never had one snap at me before!

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

wade
05-27-2008, 10:26 AM
You didn't do anything wrong. The snake hadn't been handled for a while. Maybe it was feeling grumpy. Maybe it has a headache. Bottom line snakes will snap and you sometimes. Have you ever snapped at your mother? It happens. Don't worry about it.

snakewispera snr
05-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Totally agree Wade......And some Rats can be a bit crotchety as well

clipclopclip
05-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Wear a ski mask and gloves! :rofl::rofl:

willameesh
05-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Lol - thanks all. I thought so! I just wondered if there was a reason! Least I can say I have had my first bite - I'd imagine there are many more to come in the future!

x