PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to overfeed?

Is it possible to overfeed?

celica_goddess
05-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Mr. Slithers is about 12 months old. I've never had a problem feeding him - he has a great appetite. I took him to the pet shop recently because of an issue with his tail. I asked the lady if I should stick with fuzzies or move up in size. She said he's still thin bodied, to stick with fuzzies. Over the last 10 days he's eaten every other day. I go near his tank and he comes out looking around, moving fast, following my finger. When I go to put it in his tank he grabs it right out of my hand.

Am I feeding him too much? Any other suggestions or advice? Thanks so much ;)

Susielea
05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Here's a link to a great feeding guide, that should point you in the right direction :)

http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106

In my opinion, yes you are feeding too often, as it takes 3 to 5 days for a corn to digest it's feed, so your little one is permanently digesting. With that feeding schedule, you don't get to handle him at all, because you shouldn't really be handling for at least 48 to 72 hours after a feed, if you do, you run the risk of regurgitation :(

Hope that helps,

celica_goddess
05-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks for replying. What do you think he's always looking for food? If it takes so long to digest, I would think he'd feel full.

Joejr14
05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks for replying. What do you think he's always looking for food? If it takes so long to digest, I would think he'd feel full.

Why do you assume he's looking for food? ;)

Susielea
05-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Whenever you go to the kitchen, is it because your going to eat a meal? Or do you go there for other reasons ie to clean, put the groceries away, have a drink, chat at the table or just look out the window?

Corn snakes are opportunistic feeders. In the wild they don't know when their next meal will be found, so they will eat everything they can, while they can. In captivity, that instinct remains, so he may well be happy, eating everything you put in front of him, but he will probably lead a short unhealthy life :(

It's a bit like you eating a large meal every couple of hours, every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and getting no exercise. Can you imagine how unhealthy you would be, let alone how much you would weigh? He needs to spend at least some time exploring and getting exercise, to burn off some of those calories, or else he's going to be very obese.

celica_goddess
05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
That makes sense - thank you very much!!