PDA

View Full Version : Wierd ......

Wierd ......

AlbinoRedBoy
05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
So I was holding cherry last night and my brother started poking me and i kept saying ouch.... then cherry struck him... then he held her and she was fine but he started poking me again and she struck him again.... Is she protecting me? or is it just coincidence....

bitsy
05-29-2008, 12:03 PM
I'd say she was sensing you tense up as your brother poked you, figured he was potentially dangerous to her and decided to give him a warning shot. They'll also react to sudden, unexpected movement so that might be part of it.

As she's relaxed with you, then she must be starting to learn that you're safe. Don't think I'd go as far as describing her as protecting you though - I think she was just looking out for herself.

v_various
05-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Maybe being jostled by the poking motions were upsetting to her? I don't think snakes have the capacity to 'protect', they are not pack animals like dogs, elephants, humans, whatever. It isn't a behavior or instinct they have, they have no concept of it. I'm of the 'don't anthromorphise your animals' camp.

I wouldn't tell your brother that though, "you better be nice to me or I'll get cherry to bite you again!", haha.

Jevard
05-31-2008, 03:12 PM
this is all true. unfortunatly snakes have realy no sense of protection of others in such a way... but being relaxed with you and suddenly you being poked will give her a sudden sense of danger... and they are definatly into the whole self protection thing...so in snakes basic mind. "something ass changed, and suddenly i feel threatened." so.. "warn the thing that changed that im not to happy about it" I.E. your quickly moving brother

I'd say she was sensing you tense up as your brother poked you, figured he was potentially dangerous to her and decided to give him a warning shot. They'll also react to sudden, unexpected movement so that might be part of it.

As she's relaxed with you, then she must be starting to learn that you're safe. Don't think I'd go as far as describing her as protecting you though - I think she was just looking out for herself.