PDA

View Full Version : Breeders.... I have a NON Feeder/Mouse Colony Question

Breeders.... I have a NON Feeder/Mouse Colony Question

Dragontails
06-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Hey all, I am looking for some advice. I have about 70 hatchlings due this year and was wondering what everyone does for non feeders of frozen thawed?
I was tinkering with the idea of breeding mice but I see hatchlings need 1-3 day old pinky mice for live feedings? Then, what are the chances of timing that right (Mice giving birth when my hatchlings refuse???). I dont want a huge colony of mice lingering around and I am sure not all breeders have feeder mice in their house.
My question is what do you do when you do not have a mice colony or is it worth it to have a small one? With a small one, how do you time them giving birth right? I want to give my snakes the best chance of survival and would like to hear what everyone else does when a non feeder pops out.
Live Pinks up here (if you can get them) are $1.79/pink. Any adivce would be appreciated :)
Thank you all in advance for your help.

Cat_Eyed_Lady
06-02-2008, 08:16 AM
if you do a search, there are Many things to try when you get a non feeder :)

wade
06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
You can't time it right with a small colony. Even if you did, you going to have 15 or so pinkies in a litter, when they hit 3 days old and you feed your problem, what are you going to do with the other 14 pinkies?

The bonus is that 90% of your baby corn snakes will eat without any problem at all. 9% of the ones who don't eat the first time will eat the second attempt. You won't have a problem with most of them.