PDA

View Full Version : Colors fading?!

Colors fading?!

Jadie.Glitch
06-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Hi there,

I have an abott's okeetee. When I got him he was SUPER vivid. Really red/orange/black/yellow. He has already shed and isn't due for another one right now but his color has drastically faded. He is pretty much just light orange all over... I will get some comparison pics soon.

He is eating just fine and seems healthy enough... The only change is his environment. I am in the process of moving into a new place so he is being temporarily housed at my parent's house in a medium sized tub. It is plenty big for him, but is a little smaller than what he has been used to. He has hides, substrate, and plenty of fresh water... Could it be the stress of moving to a slightly smaller home that is causing this color fade?

I have never heard of this happening... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!

Caryl
06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
You say your snake's not due to shed; how long has it actually been since his/her last shed? Different animals shed at different rates. I'm new to the hobby, but I've seen big differences in shedding frequency between my corns. Even though they're roughly the same age, are kept in similiar conditions (each in its own viv), fed similarly, handled similarly, etc., they don't shed at the same time. Tulip, my amel stripe, sheds about every 3 weeks. None of the others shed this often. Your snake may just be a "frequent shedder."

I don't know of any reason apart from shedding why the colors would fade. You mentioned that you were relocating. Is it possible that the colors haven't actually changed, but appear different now because of a change in the lighting? Different types of lighting make big differences in the way the colors show.

Susielea
06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
When we moved a couple of years ago, I found every single one of my corns went into a shed cycle within a week or so of the move. They also do this whenever I move them to a different tank, even if I don't think they are due a shed, so maybe your little fella is doing the same :shrugs: