PDA

View Full Version : does this sound normal ?

does this sound normal ?

JoeM
05-18-2002, 02:12 PM
Ok ...my corn laid 14-15 eggs yesterday ( 5/16) this is her first clutch. They are in a clump and all appear to be perfectly normal and fertile and are now in the incubator.
This is also my first time breeding corn snakes or any snake so I'm wondering what post-lay snake behavior is like. She is still in the laying box buried under all the moss and sorta ..kicks..me with a coil when I disturb her. I'm wondering should I remove her and feel for a bound egg?, try to feed her? It's been approx. ..ohh 24-26 hours since she began to lay the eggs.
I guess what I want to know is: if all went well and ALL her eggs have past...when can I expect her to begin acting " normal" again? You know, emerging from the laying box and slithering around flicking her tongue etc. thanks.

JaketheTick
05-18-2002, 03:55 PM
I have a corn who just laid for the first time, it took her about 12 hours all together, and it was about two more days before she left the eggs and started acting somewhat normal.

Matt L
05-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Joe,
What I do is remove her when I remove the eggs. Try and offer a small meal to boost her energy. This is an excellent time to feel for bound eggs. Let her gently crawl across your fingers, paying close attention to her mid to rear abdomen. A stuck egg will feel obvious(like she swallowed a marble).She is going to begin her post-natal shed in about 5-7 days. If you can get her to eat something it would be good. After feeding and checking for stuck eggs, offering her the nest box with damp media I have found to be a plus. The post-natal shed is usually thin and this will help her through it.

Best of Luck!
Matt L.

JoeM
05-20-2002, 11:07 AM
ok, this snake began laying friday (5/17) afternoon. Saturday morning I removed a clump of 14-15 eggs from the laying box.
Since then she has been gradually laying single fertile eggs, I have removed 5 of those. Last night she had two still inside her..found one of those this morning...so almost 72 hours since she began laying she has one egg left. I'm feeling confident that she'll lay this last one seeing as how she had two in her last night and layed one of those. ummm am I whistling past the graveyard here or what?