• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Not a happy corn...

Mushu777

I have not been able to hold my snake for a while, and now every time I try to hold him he bites at me. Maybe because I try hold him right before I feed him and maybe he thinks person=food. Also, I seem to TRY to hold him ay night, same time I feed him. Can anyone offer advice as how to pick him up without him biting me or what else I should do?

If it is still small, just let him bite you and don't put him down. They seem to figure out that biting doesn't get what they want pretty quickly. The inverse is also true. If you put him down whenever he bites you he will learn that biting makes the big scary thing go away.

Usualy though, they are only freaked out when you reach for them. So he may always be like that to some degree untill you get him out, and in his mind you go from predator to tree branch.

If he is bigger use gloves or a snake hook. Also, some snakes never calm down. There is alot of individuality.

Yea I have noticed that he only bites me until I have him, although he is somewhat large so I wear a sweatshirt and use the sleeve for protection

Handle him gentle before feeding day so he wont associate your hands with food. Scoop him up from the side without hesitating.

I have not been able to hold my snake for a while, and now every time I try to hold him he bites at me. Maybe because I try hold him right before I feed him and maybe he thinks person=food. Also, I seem to TRY to hold him ay night, same time I feed him. Can anyone offer advice as how to pick him up without him biting me or what else I should do?

I am in the same position and had a wild one before. Whenever she wasnt digesting I held her (over her viv at first so I didnt have to take her far) and just held her for a bit and then put her back when she was calm. In the beginning pay less mind to handling them and more mind to picking them up and showing them eventually you put them back unharmed. I think thats the point. Ignore biting and struggling. Worked for me!

Use Hand Sanitizer before you handle him the smell will let him know your not lunch
and try and hook train him use the hook to remove him then hold him as normal

I have some large pits and a few will strike if I try to take them out by hand but they are puppy dog tame when I take them out with the hook

I myself wouldn't use a hanger the end can be sharp and they rust

as far as hooks go try http://lllreptile.com/

Shesha was bought from a breeder and I was warned she hadn't had much handling. She was difficult at first, but I was able to get her to calm down with daily handling. In the beginning, I'd just take her out and hold her over her tank for about five minutes. I tried to wait for her to calm down a little before putting her back. I did this once a day and she got easier to handle every day. Now she's like a whole new snake.

I'd say handle your corn for five minutes every day (minus the 48 hours after feeding) and see if there's any improvement. As others have said, don't put him down when he bites at you. At this point, being left alone is a reward and you don't want to reward that sort of behavior.

Most reptile shows have someone selling hooks, too. Try holding him on the days before feeding day, when he isn't so hungry.

I say the best way to pick up a snake is low, fast, and "small". Grabbing a snake from above gives it the idea of your hand being a predator, as most predators come from above (ie. birds, almost all animals). When you go in with your hand low, it seems to give the snake a sense of security, as well as a sall feeling of dominance. Going in fast gives the snake less time to think about any of the things, and pretty much catches it by surprise. When you go in "small", as I word it, you are trying to make your hand as small as possible, so that the snake isn't afraid of the big monster that just leaped into its environment. This means that you aren't trying to give the snake a high-five, but rather trying to grab it with two or three fingers. For a small snake that pulls back and looks like it's about to bite, quickly scoop it right up in your palm. For a larger snake that pulls back and is about to strike, go under it's head and try to grab the body of the snake.

When you try to grab a snake, do not grab it by either the neck or the tail. This is where predators often strike, and these parts are also the snake's most sensitive ones, that often stimulate a jerking away response when touched. The best thing to do is grab the center most part of the body.

That's all I got on this subject. These things have helped me get a hold of Flame, who was a big biter when I first got him, as well as catch lots of local snakes.

Hmmm.... Last post was my 888th...

I forgot all about scent. The best tip I can give you on keeping a consistent scent is to rub your hands on your bed before handling. This is a smell that the corn would associate with handling, which it will recognize at every handling event.

Back