PDA

View Full Version : Nasty poo

Nasty poo

waldo
06-11-2008, 07:34 PM
What could cause poo to be very slimy and smell like decayed meat? My little milk snake seems to have some kind of a problem and I'm not sure whats going on.
Quick back ground.
Got the snake a little over a month ago, refused food for almost three weeks. First meal was a F/T rat pink, regurged it 2 days later.
Waited 5-6 days, fed a live rat pink, this time it stayed down. Roughly one week later fed a F/T rat pink, this one also stayed down.
Its now been 3-4 days since the last feeding. I was cleaning/watering all the youngs snakes. When I got the the milk cage, I was met with a rank smell. I had though either another regurge or possibly a uneaten food item. I went through the whole tank, right down to the glass. All I found was two little blobs of slimy, nasty poo.
This snake was a freebie from a forum contest and I'm beginning to wonder if I was given a sick snake. I worry about crypto or some other disease I know nothing about. A vet is out of the question, the local vet here refused to even run fecals for me.
What are some at home options I can try? I have powdered acidophilus I can put on the next pinky. I also have panacure worming paste, should I try some of that also?

kcaven
06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Why would your local vet refuse to run fecals??? Does he do exotics? If not you def need to find one that does.

SquamishSerpents
06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
are you sure it wasn't another regurge?

waldo
06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
He says that there is "special" equipment needed for reptile fecals. I've tried telling him that it can be done just like a dog fecal but he won't listen and no, he does not see any exotics except ferrets.

There is only one other vet in the area, they don't see exotics either but may be willing to work with me. I just don't know if I could trust a vet that knows nothing about reptiles.

There are a couple of vet a hour away who claim to know how to treat reptiles but I know a few different people who have had animals killed by these vets lack of knowledge. Unfortunately this is the problem when you live in a rural area like I do, regardless of what vet I go to, none know reptiles and could inadvertently harm then more.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a regurge, it was way too small and runny.