PDA

View Full Version : Out of work dog needs a home, Northern VA

Out of work dog needs a home, Northern VA

alan
06-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Northern VA/Springfield area...
Can you give an out of work yard dog a home? She wasn't really good at her job and got replaced. We just got a video surveillance system at work and she's going to the shelter on Monday (6-15) if she's still at work. Be a shame to see a good pup like this killed.
This is a wonderful dog, mixed breed mostly shepard. Female, spayed, incredibly healthy, goes to the vet, no fleas or ticks, fairly intelligent, not such a good watchdog(too nice).
The caveat: she needs a strong fence, she's a strong dog. That's all, and I would only worry about that because she will at first have displacement issues and may try to get out.
She's really great, quickly trainable with praise. She already knows how to walk on a leash and will sit when I stop walking. I can hold a treat in front of her nose and she will not take it until I say "okay". She learned that in one short afternoon and has remembered it since.
Pictures and videos at http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/Alfixit/open/selena/

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn41/Alfixit/open/selena/ssmil.jpg

Susan
06-15-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm having a bit of an issue about how disposable this great dog is to it's "owner". She has obviously been well taken care of, despite being so unloved and easily replaced by a machine. Would it be so dang awful to keep the dog on as a back-up system, just in case of a power failure or something? It's almost as bad as the people who dump their pets at the pound simply because it changed from a puppy or kitten into an adult dog or cat and isn't as cute anymore.

alan
06-15-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm having a bit of an issue about how disposable this great dog is to it's "owner". She has obviously been well taken care of, despite being so unloved and easily replaced by a machine.

Yeah, I'm having a bit of an issue with the same thing, thank you for agreeing. I have been the one that has taken good care of her, every day, at work. I have been given no leeway on the time frame, no time to find her a home. I was told this on thursday, a co-worker was going to keep her, we found out today that she cannot.
My home and yard are not suitable for this dog, that's why I have three small dogs. It's really tearing me up that I can't at least keep her until I find her a place to live.
I think they expect ME to take her to the animal shelter on monday, if so then we'll have another argument, bigger than the one we had thursday when the boss told me she was going. I have been working for this company for 20 years and that was the first time that I found it necessary to YELL at the owner, and I hung up on him.

Vinman
06-15-2008, 08:55 AM
This story just breaks my heart. Nice of you to try to find that cutie a home. You know comming from the bronx I think sue has the right idea about using both dog and cameras

alan
06-15-2008, 02:21 PM
This story just breaks my heart.

Me too Vin. I can't find her a place on short notice like this.
I'm not without resources, yesterday we found a home for a little silky terrier stray that member Nicole(NFS07) brought to us only 10 days ago. Little dogs are easy, I can't even keep a dog like Selena at my house. I also have a female that will not tolerate another female.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to keep her, but I just don't have the money for the containment I would need and she can't stay in the house. I tried her on a chain at work and she kept pulling until she got the collar off. She's never been tied up before.
Still accepting help if anyone's interested!

Susan
06-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Have you tried calling all the vets in your area to see if any of their clients are looking for a dog like her? Or perhaps you can ask if any can at least keep her for a short time while you try to find her a good home. Many vets can be total "mushes" in cases like this. And I'm sure you have already contacted any local "no-kill" shelters. Sometimes they even have foster homes available. You can also ask if there are any Shepherd rescues that might take her. If you can find someone to temporarily keep her, most newspapers will let you run an ad for free if the pet is to be given away (sometimes calling it a stray can help).

alan
06-15-2008, 04:02 PM
When I found out she couldn't stay at my co-workers place I stopped by Selena's vet, they were closed. Saturday and Sunday are not good days for this. Unfortunately Monday is the last day, but I'll still try in the morning.

NFS07
06-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Alan you helped me out so let me see if I can help you out. I'll talk to my mom and see if she will let me bring in another dog. Large dogs work better in our house and since she is a female she should get along fine withour dogs once Shadow meets her. That way you'll have her in a good place until you find a home.

alan
06-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Nicole can't take her, still needs a home.
She needs a good fence, I'm sure at first she's going to try and escape unless someone stays with her.
She will not tolerate a chain, I tested her, it wasn't very nice.

mike17l
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm having a bit of an issue about how disposable this great dog is to it's "owner". She has obviously been well taken care of, despite being so unloved and easily replaced by a machine. Would it be so dang awful to keep the dog on as a back-up system, just in case of a power failure or something? It's almost as bad as the people who dump their pets at the pound simply because it changed from a puppy or kitten into an adult dog or cat and isn't as cute anymore.

Susan, Have you ever sold a snake that you no longer "needed" (perhaps you no longer "needed" the hets, it was a poor breeder, or the fascination ran out)? How is buying a dog for a specific purpose and it not fulfilling that purpose (or being replaced by a "visual morph") then selling it any different?

Sorry I dont seen anything different than what many of us do on a daily basis.

And yes, I have a dog, and I love him, and I got him for a specific purpose (to be a companion) if he stops being that and stops doing his job I will get rid of him.

As a note: I did not say his purpose was a working dog, he is one (versatile gun dog, points, retrieves, and tracks wounded/dead animals), and does a great job at it, but his main role, the reason I got him was a companion. If I had got him just to work and hunt, and he stopped doing that or never did, he would be gone in an instant, same as if I got him as a stud and he couldnt do that.

alan
06-15-2008, 11:48 PM

Quite a difference, a dog is a social pack animal that knows when things change. I wouldn't get rid of a dog.

diamondlil
06-16-2008, 01:13 AM
Hope you can rehome that beautiful dog, Alan.

alan
06-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Hope you can rehome that beautiful dog, Alan.

I hope I can too, we'll see what happens tomorrow. How much do you think it would cost to ship her to you?

diamondlil
06-16-2008, 01:37 AM
If only it was possible. Over this last year there's been a spate of rehoming among my friends, with the rescued rotty and dobermann at the stables, a rotty/dobermann cross and a rotty rescue with work colleagues, and another nurse is currently looking for a big/medium dog as a running companion/ home security/best friend. (I showed her a picture of my old girl Ellie, lab/pit/collie squishing me and she's sold on trying to find a similar sized dog).
I think an extension on time to find a new home would be perfectly reasonable from your boss, after all that dog has lived there this long so a little longer won't hurt.

alan
06-16-2008, 01:43 AM
I tried to get more time, no go. The boss cites insurance reasons. We had a break in and the insurance company really gave us a look-over. I can't argue with the fact that she is not effective as a guard dog, but she shouldn't just be disposed of.

highcolorcorns
06-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Get on the internet and find a shepherd rescue. Being that the dog has vet records/shots/spayed they should take her. I know in Texas the rescue groups are great. We have groups drive 10+ hours to come get dogs.

highcolorcorns
06-16-2008, 03:41 AM
http://www.shepherdrescue.org/index.html

here's one I found quick for you in Virginia... good luck.

alan
06-16-2008, 06:09 AM
http://www.shepherdrescue.org/index.html

here's one I found quick for you in Virginia... good luck.

Thank you, I did several last night, including that one. That's what I was doing yesterday, no results. Everyone's full but they allowed me to post her on one.
Seems a lot of people think dogs can be thrown away like the trash.
Oh well, phone calls today, thanks for the luck.

kcaven
06-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Good Luck Alan...stories like this make me so sad. I really hope that when I get on here after work today you have good news.....

alan
06-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Good Luck Alan...stories like this make me so sad. I really hope that when I get on here after work today you have good news.....

Thanks, Kristie, me too. I'm off to work to see what the day brings!

alan
06-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Selena has one more day, the local shelter is closed on Monday. I'm still waiting for answers from a couple places, but I have nothing yet.

alan
06-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Selena was picked up by a wonderful woman and taken to her rescue orginization. She's on her way to finding a real home!
I went to her vet at lunchtime to see what resources they had. She gave me a number to call and after we talked for a while she said, "let me call her now". A short phone call and she was on her way.
She evaluated her as "very adoptable", and took her right away.:spinner::spinner:(my first use of smilies, ever)
Keep watching for her at www.pups2luv.com

Susan
06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Selena was picked up by a wonderful woman and taken to her rescue orginization. She's on her way to finding a real home!
I went to her vet at lunchtime to see what resources they had. She gave me a number to call and after we talked for a while she said, "let me call her now". A short phone call and she was on her way.
She evaluated her as "very adoptable", and took her right away.:spinner::spinner:(my first use of smilies, ever)
Keep watching for her at www.pups2luv.com

That's terrific news!

Susan, Have you ever sold a snake that you no longer "needed" (perhaps you no longer "needed" the hets, it was a poor breeder, or the fascination ran out)? How is buying a dog for a specific purpose and it not fulfilling that purpose (or being replaced by a "visual morph") then selling it any different?

And yes, I have a dog, and I love him, and I got him for a specific purpose (to be a companion) if he stops being that and stops doing his job I will get rid of him.

As a note: I did not say his purpose was a working dog, he is one (versatile gun dog, points, retrieves, and tracks wounded/dead animals), and does a great job at it, but his main role, the reason I got him was a companion. If I had got him just to work and hunt, and he stopped doing that or never did, he would be gone in an instant, same as if I got him as a stud and he couldnt do that.

Yes, I have sold a total of 5 adult snakes, keeping them until the right new owners were found, which for some was years. They all went to good homes where they were needed and welcome. I did not simply take them to a shelter the moment they were no longer "needed" in hopes of them being adopted within a couple of days before being euthanized. Big difference, IMO.

diamondlil
06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
:cheers::cheers::cheers: Wonderful news! I'm so glad you took the time and trouble to find her a new home :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Maize411
06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm really glad to hear she's on her way o getting a good home....She seems like such a sweet dog...I would have hated to hear that she was being placed in a pound...I really hope she finds a good home...Its great to know there are kind people like you that really go out of their way to help a sweet dog find a deserving home :0) koodles to you!

Cegninedorf
06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm thrilled thrilled thrilled for Selena! :cheers: Thank you for not giving up & being optimistic for her...I only adopt animals from shelters because they deserve a second chance & not death. If I lived closer, I'd have replied to this thread in an instant! Selena's new family will be a lucky one, indeed. :)

Vinman
06-16-2008, 06:26 PM
yea!!!! awaaa, too cool

diego
06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Well done Alan !

alan
06-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks, everyone. Suzi said that Selena settled right in at the rescue. Maybe she won't have displacement anxieties at all! It shouldn't be hard to find her a home she's a sweet, smart girl.

kathylove
06-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for caring so much! It's such a shame to see a good dog (or cat) disposed of like that.

Yes, I would sell my snakes that I no longer need. Although I occasionally have a "special snake" that I actually feel a sort of bonding to, and would keep it whether it ever breeds or not, I do not really bond with the snakes in the same way as with a cat or dog (or horse, or other companion animal). I have always felt more towards snakes like I would with tropical fish - I love to look at them and enjoy their colors and even personality. And I want them to have good care. But I just don't feel towards them in the same way as with my cats.

It always seemed strange to me that somebody would get a dog or cat, and NOT feel bonded enough to it to keep it forever, or at least go to very long lengths to make sure it had a good home if they can't keep it. But then I know that many people seem to feel as bonded to their snakes as I do to my cats, so I guess it is an individual trait.

But anyway, good job!

fu1bar3
06-16-2008, 11:37 PM
AWSOME JOB ALAN!!!

jazzgeek
06-17-2008, 12:06 AM
BRAVO!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

That girl has such a sweet face, and I'll admit that I was getting anxious with each new post.

Great news!! The Becks is on me! :cheers:

regards,
jazz

NFS07
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Good job Alan. Im sure she'll find a great home now!!!!

stephen
06-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I think it really depends on how many snakes someone has, is to how bonded they get to them. I feel cornsnakes more tolerate us handling them ,as others seem to actually like being held.

snakemom1961
06-20-2008, 08:31 AM
AWESOME JOB ALAN!!!!!
I am so happy you found a rescue who would take her. I'm sure in no time she will find a loving, forever home and never have to worry about this happening again.
I agree with Kathy in regards to the feelings I have for my snakes vs. how I feel about my cats. Even my little PITA is a total love to me.
Any chance you may hear whether she found a forever home or not?