PDA

View Full Version : RIP

RIP

Sharkman20
06-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Well my little hypo bloodred cornsnake I got from Rich about 6 months ago died suddenly today. Well, it didn't die so suddenly, as it went from being perfectly normal to lethargic and not moving/flicking his tongue, etc in about a day, and when I checked on him this morning before work, he was dead. I'm kind of at a loss to what happened. I have been having problems with him regurging for the past few months, but I finally got him out of that and he took his last 5 meals without incident except the day before yesterday. I fed him like normal and he regurged overnight and began acting very weak and lethargic. I picked him up and I felt 3 hard lumps inside him, from about halfway down his body to the 2/3 mark with about a half inch of space between each. I have never fed him in his enclosure, so there was no possibility of him swallowing any of the aspen bedding. Anyway, I came back later in the evening to check up on him again and he was pretty much limp and about 2/3 of the way down his body he had a dark spot I could see under his belly scales that I can only assume was blood, since it had no mass to it and looked more liquid than solid when I held him up to the light. I imagine he didn't live much longer than that since he was stiff by the time I woke up at 5am. I've never had a snake just suddenly die on me like that before. I really hope it wasn't some sort of contagious infection. Anyone have any ideas?

wmdude102086
06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
I wouldnt be the person to help you with advice on it but what I can say is I am sorry to hear about your little guy :(

Quiet Tempest
06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
I have no words of wisdom to help in figuring out what happened, but I am sorry for your loss and wanted to say so. :awcrap:

Kokopelli
06-17-2008, 05:35 AM
The lumps may be a problem with some part of the pinkie/mouse being stuck still in the snake's gut or stomach.
It is quite rare but does occur. My friend lost his white-lip python due to the same problems.
This leads to blockage and possible narcosis in the area.
It doesn't seem like you did anything wrong.

My condolences. :(

MegF.
06-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. The dark mark is often seen in snakes that have died. Bile or something from the liver as I recall. Could still have been impaction even if you didn't feed on substrate. Could also have been something like crypto, although the abdominal swelling that usually accompanies this disease is usually softer.

TWGarland
06-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Very sorry to hear of your loss. The dark mark is often seen in snakes that have died. Bile or something from the liver as I recall. Could still have been impaction even if you didn't feed on substrate. Could also have been something like crypto, although the abdominal swelling that usually accompanies this disease is usually softer.

I thought it was the gall bladder releasing fluid post-mortem, could be wrong though :shrugs:

either way I'm sorry to hear of your loss Sharkman :(

All the best

Tom