PDA

View Full Version : friendly wont eat/ate but very mad

friendly wont eat/ate but very mad

dakota11
06-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Long story short and please be nice as I am new to this and have noticed there are large issues with the whole combining snake thing. Now for the story and the questions.
I have as of today 2 1yr old corns one is about the length and width of a pencil her neck is half that width the other is longer and thicker but still looks to be only a few months old no Im not under exaturation . Anyways They were in a pet store with five others and the others grew I saw them they are very long and quite thick and I know the breeder thats where they were returned due to not eating and growing age is not a question and they are on record the age of the others. Anyways the two that I have were together and I brought them home tonight along with a pinky for the small one that hasn't eaten in ? months. I have been out to see them a couple times prior to today and handled them the smaller one so sweet and would rather be on your hand then in the cage. Anyways during those visits we both tried to get the lil one to eat with no luck. Well tonight I got them home with my own thoughts if the little one doesnt live at least I tried So I put the larger one in a ten gallon and left the small one in the tiny container put the pinky in considering the circumstances I didnt think waiting a few days for her to get use to the surroundings was sens. Now for the parts that I think Im going to get reamed out for and also most likely created an aggressive snake. I decided to bug her to get her to eat and could not find hemostats so I used a piece of thin rubber whatever its called to hold screen in a window and moved the pinky she began rattling her tail and nipped at the rubber thing so I moved the pinkey with it again and this time she got a piece of the pinky with the bite and ate this Im excited about. well the next part there is hardly any water in the tiny container the lid with water tipped in the whole process and no substrate in the bottom the idea not a good idea to leave her in there right? well Till tomorrow I decided to put her back with the other snake for the night well this cute lil snake that just wanted out and to be held became an attack snake literally attacking the container as soon as I went near. now Im thinking was she friendly and timid cause she wanted to stay away from the other snake or does it have to do with the fact that she just ate. You have to understand the change of attitude was unbelievable but Im at this point just glad she ate and pray she doesnt regurgitate. btw Im thinking she is scared of pinkeys and the only reason she latched on to it was cause she was aiming for the rubber.
She has been put in the other tank for the night please be nice I know you all are against this but understand they have been together for a year or more and I cant make any changes till tomorrow anyways. So have I created a monster snake I ask and will I have to use a long snake looking thing to get her to eat. I know long post and lots to criticize me about 2 together, feeding upon arrival, moving just after feeding, scairing snake to eat, what else have I done wrong I do want to learn and hear what you all have to say but please be kind with criticism. Oh how long shall I wait to see if she really hates me should I go past the 48 hrs and with the situation how long till I try to feed again? I know 2x week for babies and 7-10 days for older ones but Idk if that applies to this situation

susang
06-25-2008, 10:27 PM
To make a short story long, HUH! I'm sorry but have no idea what you are asking except for us not to get mad at you.
Are you saying your little snake took a bite of a pinkie, or did it eat the pinkie?
You could have left in that container overnight just put dry tissue in bottom and a cap with water.
Snakes can still be in feeding mode after eating, seemingly more aggressive. Hope that helps some, susang

dakota11
06-25-2008, 10:38 PM
I know Its been a long day yes she ate the whole pinky I was going to keep her in there over night but she was literally freaking the prior water thing was all over the bottom and I didn't want to have her biting and regurgitating and to be honest I didn't want tonight to be the first bite. The reason I say about the criticizing is that in the past week I have been reading these threads that basically say not to do everything I have done so Im thinking Im doing everything wrong thats all but on the other hand all I wanted her to do was eat and not die. feeding mode that does make sense thanks I so hope you are correct.

Mysfitz
06-25-2008, 10:44 PM
she will mostly likely be fine after a while, i have adults that occasionally attack the feeding bin if i walk past after they eat, we have an MBK that will take hours to settle after feeding some times, i just leave them until i can walk up to the bin and they ignore me, then i move them back to their tank.

sounds like you know your doing some things wrong, try to fix it as in separate, the small one might even start eating and growing if kept alone.

i would offer every 4-5 days for the small one, give her 30-60 minutes before moving her after eating, specially if cohabing, putting them together immediately after eating could cause one to eat or at least try to eat the other.

Mysfitz
06-25-2008, 10:50 PM
i've cohabed(coame to me being cohabed and i did not separate for a few months), i've also fed half of my snakes within 24 hours of getting them home, luckily i never had any problems, my snakes are all separated now and doing great a couple of slow growers started growing much better, but as i said i always left them separated for 30+ minutes(sometimes 3-5 hours) in their feeding bins to make sure they were done with feeding mode before returning them to their shared tank.

i also allow a couple of days for adjustment before feeding now as well.
live and learn, but if you know better, don't intentionally do something you know is wrong.

susang
06-25-2008, 10:56 PM
For every rule on this forum there is an expert or big breeder who, breaks at least one rule. My concern in co-habbing would be for the little one. If there is a reugrg how will you know which one regurged? When you seperate them don't move the little one again move the other stronger one.
Many corn snakes look like they have a skinny neck and big head compared to neck, but small compared to body. I have a couple two year olds that still have the small head look.
At the moment I'll give you props for at least knowing you're doing things a different way. I think if you read threads where people get bashed it's when they say "well what do you know, or I'll still do it my way".

dakota11
06-25-2008, 11:57 PM
I tried to upload two photos. I want to thank you both for taking the time to respond and Im learning here so thanks for the info. I checked on them they are in the hideout. Ill have another tank tomorrow if I should separate.

dakota11
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
The pictures arent very good the one in the middle is the smaller one the one going up the glass is the larger one btw 10 gal tank to give you an idea of snake size. I know its hard to tell from the picts but how far off from a normal year old does it look to you all? I have no idea what colors they are considered to be.

dakota11
06-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Just wanted to give an update. Lil issue last night I found out that my 10 gal lid was not snake proof she went up between the lip of the tank and lid head was poking out a bit I even had books on top I still cant understand how it was possible so there was a lot of duct tape used last night. Off to the pet store this morning I now have a reptile enclosure It says escape proof but I still modified any openings that were ment to allow for plug ins at the top exoterra terrium. As for temperament I have been taking her out with a small garden glove then letting her slide onto other hand then removing glove. Both seem to have grown longer unless its just my imagination cause it hasn't even been a full week. Anyways aside from the near escape things seem to be going good.

dakota11
07-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Well both have been doing great as far as eating. One shed a few days ago then the other is in the process. The one with aggression (15 inches) well I would say it was agression when it comes to the feeding bin behavior is somewhat different than what Im about to describe. Im thinking the s shape neck, tail rattling and biting is actually due to fear correct me if Im way off. This has been going on whenever I attempt to take her out of the viv or even go near her in the viv. Now I know the bite wont hurt if she actually managed to get me. But I am a dog groomer and with that comes very unconscious quick reflexes which Im not sure how to get rid of. I use a glove to take her out yes the glove gets bites. now once she is out of the viv I let her go to the other hand which there is no glove. I also always have a bin under where Im handling them just in case cause a loose snake around here = very bad situation. Now that the worries of feeding are not a concern whats my next step. I mean should I be working with her on a daily basis aside from after feeding would there be lots of harm in only handling her before feeding to the bin (I have set it up so they go out of the bins and in their viv on their own after feeding). Then working with her when she is bigger (Im thinking easier to handle when she is bigger on the flip side the attitude may go from fear to aggression with her being bigger may be more difficult to work with?) Oh the other one is just a nervous and fast trying to get away. btw she must have been in real rough shape both times I went to see her and the first day she was here till that first meal cause as I mentuned before this was not the same snake personality very calm docile wrapped around my fingers. I know the one answer would be start out having a first snake that is calm and use to being handled but Obviously that option isnt the one I took. So please if there is any advice on working with this it would be appreciated. If Someone plans on telling me not to use the glove to take her out I agree but let me know how to stop my reflexes as when she lounges I don't move away with the glove but I know I would without it.

bitsy
07-25-2008, 03:29 AM
Gloves are fine. Even after 17 years of Corn keeping, I use gloves with a persistant biter. Mine is less inclined to bite if I'm wearing gloves, which indicates that gloves lower her stress levels as well as mine.

A few minutes of handling a day (once digestion is complete) should be fine.

Do bear in mind that some snakes just don't like being handled - they're the exception rather than the rule with Corns, but they do happen.

Have you checked your temperatures? Corns can sometimes get a bit hectic if temps are too high.

P.S. It would be very much easier to read your long posts if you could break them up into paragraphs and make it clear what the questions are. I;d hate to see you missing out just because of a layout issue.

dakota11
07-25-2008, 09:28 PM
I know I tend to ramble. The temp has been between 75 and 80 only way to cool it down would be ac or fan but Id worry about draft the heat mat has only been plugged in once and off since then.
One thing that I was thinking about tonight as I took her out is that both were in a very small critter cage about 7 inches by 4 give or take and in a basement no heat pad. No hides no plants just on the plastic very little room for both to be living in there.
My set up is hides plants driftwood reptile bark and lots more space which is nice for them but proves difficult trying to get them out but without that stuff they would burrow under the bark anyways.
Tonight she bit at the glove a couple times then persistently tried to get away once she calmed a bit I put her back in the viv It didnt help that since the other just came out of a shed I didn't take her out which normally when I take her out first it gives me time to get nerve to handle the other one.
nervous snake=nervous owner=:(
isn't there a snake whisperer somewhere out there?
Ok so a couple minutes a day handle and when she bites just ignore right and when she is trying to get away should I keep her moving from one hand to the other or?
When she doesn't want to be taken out how is the best way to pick her up? I have a s hook but haven't used it yet mainly cause Im unsure how to.
Is my rambling a bit better to understand?