PDA

View Full Version : Question about Munson feeding plan

Question about Munson feeding plan

sarahle
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
My snake is now 18g so using the munson plan it looks like I should feed him two pinkies. My question is do I feed one pinky-let him eat it and give him another one right away, or do you feed the second one later in the day?

Also if he does not eat the 2nd one (is that a common thing or will he eat it most likely) can I refreeze it or should I just throw it away?

Thanks for you help.

sarah

TWGarland
06-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Sarah

You'll want to feed both them pinks at the same time. Feedingl ater in the day wouldn't be a good idea because the chances are your snake would have already started digesting the first one and may regurge it when you disturb it to feed the second one.

When my snake was on two pinks i used to just have the pinks sitting in the feeding container and then introduce the snake and let him get on with it :) , eating one straight after the other. Never once had a problem.

They're oppurtunistic feeders in the wild so your snake will probably take two like a champ ;) I've never re-frozen a mouse myself, maybe someone else could help you with that

All the best

Tom

Weebonilass
06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
I've always offered one and then the other within 10-15 minutes, but that's just me. I also never refreeze, which was a major headache when my male was on his hunger strike. $3 a rat every other week... seemed like such a waste, but since their natural inclination is for live, I didn't like the idea of thawing, refreezing and then unthawing again. No sciencitific reason that I know of... just my preference.

bitsy
06-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Agree with Tom; I offer two at once.

Personally I wouldn't re-freeze uneaten snake food, for the same reason that I wouldn't refreeze uneaten human food - too much chance of bacterial growth causing illness when next defrosted.

Blue Apple Herps
06-27-2008, 10:31 AM
I just put both in at the same time.

Weebonilass
06-27-2008, 10:33 AM
I just put both in at the same time.

I obviously make more work for myself than I need too :)

Talinea
06-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Hmm... I think one shouldn't re-freeze mice, because they could lose vitamins - at least this is a reason why (human) foods are said not to be re-frozen after thawing. I don't know about hygienic problems - anyone?
In fact, the same rules that apply on meat for for human consumption should apply on feeder-mice, what do you think?

sarahle
06-27-2008, 11:47 AM
thanks everyone for your replies. I am going to try and give cornflake two pinks tomorrow evening, we will see how it goes. I was pretty sure I should not refreeze the mice but just wanted to make sure.

daneale777
06-27-2008, 12:35 PM
thanks everyone for your replies. I am going to try and give cornflake two pinks tomorrow evening, we will see how it goes. I was pretty sure I should not refreeze the mice but just wanted to make sure.

Hey Sarah. Our little guy from our same breeder started out about the same size in March. He then began to eat like a hog and now weighs over 80 grams! I'm pretty sure yours will eat like that too. Good luck, and good work always asking questions along the way.

Blue Apple Herps
06-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I don't refreeze just because of the reasons pointed out in this thread. Plus mice are cheap, if they don't eat it I'd rather lose a buck than risk my snake.

Widget
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't refreeze either. If it doesn't get eaten it either gets flushed or goes to another snake.

I also don't do the double pinks. They stay on 1 3g until their about 18-20g then they go to 4g pinks. I weigh/separate all my mice into individual bags by weight (1 bag with all 3 gram, 1 with all the 4 g etc). Kinda a pain, but it allows me to know exactly how much their food weighs.

Good luck,

kandychix250
06-27-2008, 03:43 PM
When my little guy was on pinks I fed him two, one right after the other. I never re-froze them, though.