PDA

View Full Version : Newibe Handling Question

Newibe Handling Question

sarcare
06-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Ok, I've been reading lots of older threads while I wait for my snake to settle in, and I've learned a lot, but I have one question that I haven't seen directly answered. Probably because it is obvious/stupid, but here goes!

I brought my snake home from the store on Thursday, but prior to that I'd been in on Tuesday and Wednesday to see their snakes. While there I spent time handling the snake I purchased for at least five min each time. She was very comfortable with being handled at that time. Naturally when being transported she was more skittish--we put her in her plastic transport container on Wednesday, but her transition to the 20g tank was a bit scary. She stretched out in the tank, but I had to scoot her over to put her water dish in--it had been in the transport container when it was at the store. That caused her to FREAK out and run around the tank looking for a way out. Within min though she settled down in a corner to watch the viv. Since then she has retreated into a hide in the middle of the tank and I've only seen her make brief exploratory forays since then. (sorry for the unrelated details, I ramble)

Anyway, my question is about her level of comfort at being handled. After she settles in some, say by Monday or Tuesday, will she retain her comfort level at being handled? She is still somewhat of a baby--I can't recall exactly how long she is, but between a foot and 20 inches. She was regularly handled at the store, and eagerly ate the day before I picked her up.

So, will she need to be accustomed to being handled again?

Stregone
06-28-2008, 12:03 PM
The rule of thumb is to leave the snake completely alone for up to a week to let it settle in. A hatchling in a new environment is likely going to be really on edge. Those little guys have strong instincts telling it to fear just about everything, because they are tiny snacks for just about everything else, and they are in an unfamiliar environment that they can't escape from that they have no idea is a safe place or not.

Nanci
06-28-2008, 12:11 PM
To add to the above, make sure she has plenty of hides and vines. The viv shoud be a ton of cover and barely any open space. Deep aspen for her to burrow in- 2-3 inches. Then, a week after bringing her home you can feed her. After digesting for 2-3 days with no handling, you may handle her. The most important thing is a stress-free week to settle in, a relaxing meal, quiet digestion.