PDA

View Full Version : sick snake?

sick snake?

luschen
06-28-2008, 09:43 PM
My two year old snake seems not to be doing well. She stopped eating about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but it was because she was getting ready to shed. She turned blue and shed normally, but then didn't eat at her next feeding. So I waited a week and tried again tonight. I noticed the past week she hasn't been hiding like usual, just sort of laying out in the open. She also seems pretty listless when I pick her up. She didn't even try to eat the mouse tonight - didn't even sniff it really. She looks normal on the outside, no mites that I can see and her mouth looks good. Her belly near her cloaca seems a little flabby though, but that may be normal and I just never noticed it before? Any ideas? How long should I wait before I start worrying?

Em Wright
06-29-2008, 01:42 AM
I don't know what might be possibly be wrong with her or if this behavior might sometimes be normal.

However, if it were me. I'd take her to a Vet ASAP. (excuse the dog reference, but it is a really good example here) About a year ago, my few month old puppy, Bria, disappeared for two days. I got really worried, but couldn't find her after she went outside. Then, miraculously I was outside and she came out from under the house, moped over to me and plopped down at my feet. I grabbed her, knowing she had to be hungry and thirsty. When I got her in the house and had the food down for her, she refused it and instead laid down once again and appeared too weak to move.

I felt something was wrong and took her immediately to the vet (I missed work that day) and something was indeed very wrong. She had come down with parvo, but because I didn't hesitate the vet caught it soon enough and was able to nurse her back to health. Bria's with us now and doing great (she'll be staying with my Mom when I move).

Once again I know that I have a little knowledge on what might be wrong with your snake, if in fact there is something wrong. But you know her better than we do, if you feel there might be a problem, then don't hestitate to consult a vet. :cool:

luschen
06-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Well ice44, that was obviously good advice, because poor Moxie died sometime last night. I really don't understand how she could go so quickly - we held her yesterday and didn't seem that bad, just a little listless. I am so upset because I don't know what I did wrong and don't know how I can find out. I really loved having a snake and would want to get another one but I feel like such a failure and don't want to mess up again. Like I said, we had her about 7 months and she seemed to be happy and ate pretty well - I'm just so sad and wish someone could tell me what happened.

claireree
06-29-2008, 03:16 PM
sorry for your loss, could you maybe take the snake to the vets anyway and see if they may have any idea what killed it.

Em Wright
06-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I agree with claireree. The vet would likely be able to determine the cause of death. If you want to know, that seems like your best bet.

That being said. *hugs* Don't rule out the fact that it could have been something totally out of your control. Not that it makes the loss of your snake any easier. I also hope you won't give up on snakes, either. :o

bitsy
06-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry for your loss. It's possible that she was unwell for some time before she showed any visible symptoms. It's a natural defence mechanism, designed to keep them safe from predators in the wild. You might not have been able to tell.

If you need to preserve her for a vet's exam, put her in the fridge rather than the freezer, as freezing causes tissue damage which can mask health problems.