PDA

View Full Version : snake always on cool side

snake always on cool side

d_rock
06-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I recently adopted a 2 1/2 year corn snake thats 3 feet long. She is temporarily housed in a ten gallon with a heat lamp until i can get her a bigger one (cant for a couple weeks due to work schedule). The snake always stays on the cooler side of the tank with is 77 degrees. The hot side is 83. my big concern is i have a half circle tree trunk that i bought at petco for her hide. the temp measuring off of that is 120 degrees!!! its cooler inside (79). could this be why she stays away from that area even the the substrate temp is 83 and inside is fine, just the top of the hide is hot? I will be soon getting her as bigger tank and a heat pad, but for now this has to do as the adoption came up quickly and i didn't have the time to prepare for her.

Weebonilass
06-29-2008, 11:01 PM
I recently adopted a 2 1/2 year corn snake thats 3 feet long. She is temporarily housed in a ten gallon with a heat lamp until i can get her a bigger one (cant for a couple weeks due to work schedule). The snake always stays on the cooler side of the tank with is 77 degrees. The hot side is 83. my big concern is i have a half circle tree trunk that i bought at petco for her hide. the temp measuring off of that is 120 degrees!!! its cooler inside (79). could this be why she stays away from that area even the the substrate temp is 83 and inside is fine, just the top of the hide is hot? I will be soon getting her as bigger tank and a heat pad, but for now this has to do as the adoption came up quickly and i didn't have the time to prepare for her.

Get rid of that heat lamp ASAP! and remove the tree hide until the temps cool down, she could burn herself on it! Unless your house drops well below 68 during the summer, she can make do without a heat pad until you get one. My group actually doesn't have their pads turned on currently. My house isn't that chilly and, in fact, they have fans on them to help with keeping the tanks a little cooler.

d_rock
06-29-2008, 11:09 PM
i turned the lamp off. i just don't want the cage to get cold. i had the lamp on a lamp dimmer and on very low except for the top of the hide the temp ranged from 85 oh hot side to 75 on cold side (where she seems to stay)

kcaven
06-30-2008, 06:42 AM
This time of year...just leave the heat lamp off. Get a under tank heater and a thermostat as well as larger tank for him/her asap. Take a look on craigslist. There are some really good low priced deals. Alot of times people are getting rid of their whole reptile packages (tank, lids..etc) for cheap.

Please ask us if you have any questions about what you need to buy. Keep us updated.

bitsy
06-30-2008, 08:01 AM
A temp range of 75-85 is fine. Over 90 degrees for any length of time can be dangerous.

Most of mine hang out on the cooler side anyway, and only go over to the warm sides (kept about 88 degrees) if they're digesting or feeling under the weather.