PDA

View Full Version : baby corn snake wont eat

baby corn snake wont eat

Zanara
06-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I got a baby corn snake a little over three weeks ago and I cannot get her to eat. I have her in a 20 gallon cage with 5 hides and aspen bedding. When I got her I left her alone for 5 days before I tried to feed her and after every failed attempt I waited three or four days to try again. In these three days I don't handle her at all. I've tried to feed her frozen pinkies, twice in a small container, twice in her cage and once in a brown paper bag. Every time I would leave her with the pinkie overnight. I have also tried to shake the pinky in front of her but that seems to scare her. The last two attempts I have brained the pinky but it still doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? I'm really starting to worry.

blairie
06-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Try live?

Or try to scent a f/t one? I've heard that the lizard smell can help. I've never done it personally, so hopefully someone who has can offer suggestions or you can try google.

alan
06-30-2008, 08:16 PM
There are some suggestions in the sticky at the top of this forum, and some other info.

Cam5
06-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Was she eating (and what and how often) for the person you got her from?

If she was from a pet store they should have records on her feeding.
If she is from a breeder they will definitely have records.

How does she look?

Zanara
06-30-2008, 10:03 PM
She was eating pinkies before I got her, she even still had a small lump from when she ate last. I got her from a breeder at a reptile expo. I wish I had asked the guy more questions about her eating schedule and such before I got her, but that's just my mistake. She looks fine from what I can tell, she doesn't look too thin but she is my first snake so I'm just giving my best guess.

Dread Pirate Roberts
07-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Does your temperature check out O.K.? are the pinks too big? sometimes you have to offer a smaller meal to get one too eat. Some havn't got rid of the urge to eat lizards, so see if you can get a piece of skin (shed) from a green anole, and try to put it on the pink. Hope it eats soon, I know how frustrating this can be.

Dolemite
07-03-2008, 12:45 PM
You have a baby corn in a 20 gallon tank? I've read that corns can get very stressed by having too much space, especially babies, which can affect their appitite. I don't think you should have a baby corn in such a huge tank. I mean, I have a corn a little over a year old in a 20 gallon tank.

Also, make sure the temp on the warm side of the tank is at least 80-85 degrees. If it's too cold, that might make a affect things as well.