• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Wierd scab on snakes head

susuba

When we got here, I noticed that she had a scab on her head. The person who rescued her told us that it was from shedding and not enough humidity. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Heres a picture of it.

Thanks!

100_4268.jpg

You could put a little Neosporin on it. It looks like a head rub or a light burn. Some snakes rub their head on the screen lid and form a scab, or they get to close to a heat light and burn themselves.

She actually shed the day before we got her which was two weeks ago. How often should she be shedding? We put a humidifier in the tank to help.

Depending on fedding schedule theyt shed every 4-6 weeks + or-. You shouldn't need a humidifier unless you live in the Sahara. Misting occasionaly should be fine and adequate water dish.

My stripe snow has done it twice in two years. The picture below was taken after she got out of brumation, she had done it sometime during brumation, but I couldn't pinpoint why. Then I found out how she got the scab when I witnessed her doing it to herself during her restlessness while she was very gravid... about a week before she laid her clutch. She was "digging" under her water bowl, looking for a place to hide her eggs I suppose.

So that's a good possibility on your's too, if she's had any kind of structure that's sort of heavy in her enclosure that she might try to dig under.

Attachments

• JanuaryPics 003.jpg
    JanuaryPics 003.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 90
It probably just needs to finish healing. A dab of neosporin is a good idea.

You can fit a humidifier in her tank? Is it dangerous to be in there with her? Or am I just misreading? Sorry, I just thought that odd.

It probably just needs to finish healing. A dab of neosporin is a good idea.

You can fit a humidifier in her tank? Is it dangerous to be in there with her? Or am I just misreading? Sorry, I just thought that odd.

/sorry I'm not sure who you're asking, but if like me one you had the image of a humidifier (kind of too big for viv)??? I know there are humdifiers for vivs, I'm just not sure a corn would need one, not dangerous, but 100% humidity is too much. I would think it could lead to RI's.

Yep. I would be afraid of RI's too. Corns aren't "tropical" species of snakes, and shouldn't need all that extra humidity.

When we got here, I noticed that she had a scab on her head. The person who rescued her told us that it was from shedding and not enough humidity. Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

BTW, her spot had disappeared after a few sheds. After all, shedding is a method for a herp to heal its own wounds.

The humidifier is tropicaire humidifier. It's external and runs off of an air pump. One side of the lid is glass with a screen top over it and the other is just a screen top. We have the AC on 24/7 so my hubby threw in the humidifier. Should we take it out?

Thanks for explaining that. I would take it out. I guess its handy to have though.
Can you post us a full pic so we can see how cute your corn looks. The head looks really nice, so I'm curious.

I had something like that happen to my amel. She lost a whole scale though and it took multiple sheds to fill in. Now she has a different head pattern since that colour spot is gone! I thought that was pretty cool.

BTW, her spot had disappeared after a few sheds. After all, shedding is a method for a herp to heal its own wounds.

Exactly, My bloodred had a dented lens cap that she got somehow, the next time she shed it was completely gone, thankfully.

Back