PDA

View Full Version : Not digesting

Not digesting

doortech9
06-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I fed sniper about 58 hours ago, and when i went looking for him he was on his cool side. I tipped his hide over and picked him up, only to find that he still has a decent sized mouse lump remaining. I quickly placed him in his warm hide and replaced the lid. I wonder why he stayed on his cold side this whole time, even though he had a full belly? His warm temperatures arent too high, so i cant see him moving to the cold side for that reason. His mice were completely defrosted as well, i always make sure of that. How long does it take for a mouse to go bad causing a regurge? Im worried about him, he feeds so well and is growing nicely since in my care, and a regurge would make both of us unhappy im sure. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Cam5
06-30-2008, 09:25 PM
To teaseout what is happening a bit more info would help.

How old is he?
Did you feed him in front of the cool hide and he just went into the nearest hide?
How many times/how often has he eaten since you've had him?
What are the temps? (Ambient and in the hides)
Is there an under tank heater?

We have a little guy that would avoid his warm hide if the temp was above
84*F...he likes it right between 80-82*F otherwise he goes to one of the middle or cool end hides. (we call him our MN snake...although he came from Texas;)).
Now our other little one likes her warm hide temps at 82-85*F otherwise she burrows to get closer to the UTH for warmth.

doortech9
06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
He is 1.5 years old. He is small for his age and is currently eating double fuzzies averaging 8 - 10 grams total in weight. He weighs 37.8 grams as per last weigh in. I keep him on aspen with a hide on either side and one in the middle. The glass temp runs from 82 - 90 degrees, and inside his hide measured on the top third of the aspen it measures from 79.5 to 82.5 on average(UTH). I have fed him four times and have not seen any digestive problems thus far.

Cam5
06-30-2008, 09:48 PM
He is 1.5 years old. He is small for his age and is currently eating double fuzzies averaging 8 - 10 grams total in weight. He weighs 37.8 grams as per last weigh in. I keep him on aspen with a hide on either side and one in the middle. The glass temp runs from 82 - 90 degrees, and inside his hide measured on the top third of the aspen it measures from 79.5 to 82.5 on average(UTH). I have fed him four times and have not seen any digestive problems thus far.

Are you certain on his weight?...do you mean 137.8 grams?
Otherwise he is eating almost his body weight in food and that could be the problem...
{Our 9 month olds are 72grams and 62 grams respectively...and they are lean}...Just checking.

Hmmm...how often does he eat?
Did he eliminate before this last feed?
Does he seem 'off' in any other way? (nose, stools, behavior)
Could he be in shed?

Sorry, so many questions...but you are right everything seems right and nothing obvious...to me anyway.

doortech9
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
No, he is 37.8, he was fed a lot less than he should have been. His last meal was around 9 grams total, one fuzzy at 4 and one at 5, so i thought i was in range according to the munson plan. I feed him every 6-7 days, this feeding being 8 days since his last because i was waiting on mice. He deficated on schedule and nothing else seems out of the ordinary, other than he IS in shed right now. Do you think i should be worried? Is there anything i can do to aid his digestion at this stage of the game? Should i be concerned?

bitsy
07-01-2008, 03:12 AM
Shedding will slow the whole process down. Just wait until he sheds before you feed him again. Best to leave him in peace for the moment