PDA

View Full Version : Something super weird happened during feeding time...

Something super weird happened during feeding time...

kandychix250
07-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Okay, so today I fed my corn snake a pinkie and a fuzzy. He took the pinkie, no problem. The fuzzy wasn't long and straight, it was kind of curled up, a fetal position. I fed him that, and I immediately knew he probably wouldn't be able to take it. I didn't take it from his mouth for fear that one of his teeth might rip out or something. My mom was in the room while I was feeding him. All of a sudden we heard this rattling sound, and I got so scared I flew into the next room. That probably wasn't the wisest choice, but it was what I did. My mom said he started expanding during the rattling (though now I think he was hissing) and he dropped the fuzzy and there was white stuff or something, and then he picked it back up. She said during the rattling/hissing he swelled up a lot, and finally he stopped and returned to normal size and finished the fuzzy. By the time he was not swollen I was back in the room with him and my mom. I was scared out of my wits. I still don't know why that happened, but he's all fine and dandy and in his viv. Does someone know what happened?

alan
07-04-2008, 07:41 PM
I think he was very stressed that you were near his food( or him while he was eating and vulnerable) and he tried to scare you away, it worked.

kandychix250
07-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I think he was very stressed that you were near his food( or him while he was eating and vulnerable) and he tried to scare you away, it worked.

I'm /always/ with him during feeding time...and my mom was only a few feet away from him, maybe that's why he continued to rattle/hiss?

alan
07-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure if it would be better to stay or leave him alone to eat. I think I would stay when he eats so he gets used to that, unless he will not eat if you are there.

kandychix250
07-04-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure if it would be better to stay or leave him alone to eat. I think I would stay when he eats so he gets used to that, unless he will not eat if you are there.

Okay, I'll try that. He's never done this before, and I'm always right above him when he feeds, so this was completely new. Thanks, though, I'll try what you said. :)

alan
07-04-2008, 07:55 PM
My advice comes with a disclaimer, I've never had a young snake. I see a lot of posts that make me think that's a good choice, too.

CaptBogart
07-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I have a few that rattle when they eat, even when they are in the rack and can barely see me :D

kandychix250
07-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I have a few that rattle when they eat, even when they are in the rack and can barely see me :D

Do they expand? oO I never knew some corns "rattled" when they eat. Good to know, so now I don't have to freak if he does it again.

CaptBogart
07-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Do they expand? oO I never knew some corns "rattled" when they eat. Good to know, so now I don't have to freak if he does it again.

More than likely he flattened his head giving the impression of expanding. It's just a defensive look that we call, "The Cobra", lol....

kandychix250
07-04-2008, 11:16 PM
More than likely he flattened his head giving the impression of expanding. It's just a defensive look that we call, "The Cobra", lol....

Rofl, good. I wasn't there, I was hiding in the next room praying that he wouldn't die.

But now I know not to freak anymore! :D

Raiyne
07-05-2008, 12:20 AM
My corn rattles her tail every time I dangle the mouse into her feeding box. Scared me witless the first time, but I've grown more accustomed to the sudden noise. She rattles when she first notices the mouse, and again when I carefully put her back in her viv. I don't try to pick her up after she's eaten because she seems so aggressive. Instead, I place the feeding box (which is fairly small) into her viv and slowly slide her out. She rattles the whole way.

:p

SquamishSerpents
07-05-2008, 12:24 AM
haha i've been rattled at by both my snakes, and the snake i've been taking care of at the pet store! definitely startling the first time, but you get used to it for sure.

Caryl
07-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Was this your snake's first fuzzy? If so, that may have been a contributing factor to his rattling. Strange stuff, feeling less secure, etc. Where do you feed your snake? When you bolted out of the room, was he in a secure spot?

snakemom1961
07-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Gotta love hearing a corn rattle.. My adult Tiaga rattled at me once and I just started laughing, since it was the first time in the 3 years I had her at the time. You definitely get use to it. I happen to enjoy hearing them rattle. It's just a cool thing to me.

kandychix250
07-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Was this your snake's first fuzzy? If so, that may have been a contributing factor to his rattling. Strange stuff, feeling less secure, etc. Where do you feed your snake? When you bolted out of the room, was he in a secure spot?

It was his second fuzzy, and like I said, it wasn't straight, it was curled up in a fetal position. I feed my snake in a large plastic tub/bin. It's big enough to fit him and it's roomy. When I bolted out of my room, he was still in the bin, and my mom was watching him, so being in the bin, I guess I'd say he was in a secure spot.

kandychix250
07-05-2008, 02:01 PM
haha i've been rattled at by both my snakes, and the snake i've been taking care of at the pet store! definitely startling the first time, but you get used to it for sure.

Haha thanks. :)