PDA

View Full Version : HOW LONG?

HOW LONG?

akai06
07-07-2008, 07:12 AM
I posted this in another section, but its received no responses. I guess im a little impatient. anyway...

If a female corn has slugs inside... how long would it take for her to reabsorb them or naturally pass them?

Also want to know is there a normal decrease in waste excretion and feeding during this time??

thanks

Tula_Montage
07-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Is she actually bound ie has an egg stuck at her cloaca and is unable to pass it? If so don't wait any amount of time before taking her to a vet. She may seem ok but a few members this year have lost snakes very quickly from egg binding.

How long has she had the slugs inside for? Has she passed any eggs herself? If so how long since she last passed an egg/slug?

bitsy
07-07-2008, 07:26 AM
I have one that reabsorbs without laying every year. It can take weeks and she goes off her food for the duration.

akai06
07-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Well no there's not anything that visible down there , other than the normal slight swelling of when she has to poop. But it all started three weeks ago as refusal to eat (acting scared of it) and then also noticed she hasn't pooped in about the same amount of time. She's refused meals on three repeated attempts.

After doing some research i found that its possible shes not interested in food because she'd like to mate or is carrying, or is impacted. Was told to... give daily bathes in 80-90 degree water for 20 minutes to encourage i believe, a defecation. If not relieved shortly thereafter take her to the vet. And as i said shes very active and seems very normal other than the above.

Nanci
07-07-2008, 09:49 AM
I have one that reabsorbs without laying every year. It can take weeks and she goes off her food for the duration.

I wonder if this is what is going on with Lila. I've been feeling her up constantly and haven't felt anything, but she hasn't eaten for months, AND has only lost two grams...

akai06
07-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Honestly, i haven't a clue as to whats going on. Haven't taken her to a vet, she hasn't passed anything (that ive seen), just gathered info and coming to conclusion from there. I'm thinking about taking her to a vet pretty soon though, for my piece of mind and her well being of course.

bitsy
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Sometimes a visit to the vet really is more for your benefit. I still think that's worth the cost though, even if my vet does occasionally look at me like I'm a bit daft!

I don't think there would be any harm in getting her checked over.

wade
07-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Well no there's not anything that visible down there , other than the normal slight swelling of when she has to poop. But it all started three weeks ago as refusal to eat (acting scared of it) and then also noticed she hasn't pooped in about the same amount of time. She's refused meals on three repeated attempts.

After doing some research i found that its possible shes not interested in food because she'd like to mate or is carrying, or is impacted. Was told to... give daily bathes in 80-90 degree water for 20 minutes to encourage i believe, a defecation. If not relieved shortly thereafter take her to the vet. And as i said shes very active and seems very normal other than the above.

Wait a minute guys. We are jumping to a lot of conclusions here. The snake has no visible signs of a problem. It hasn't eaten for three weeks and hasn't pooped for about the same amount of time. The slugs, egg binding, and impaction are all guesses of what might be wrong. Lets not go to surgery just yet.

Your snake hasn't pooped because it hasn't eaten. That is simple.

It is very common and even normal for a snake to go three weeks without eating. That is not a concern. She may be getting ready to shed. She may be ovulating. She may be in the mood for love. She may just not feel like mice right now. It may be that your attempts to feed her when she doesn't want to eat are stressing her out.

Take a deep breath. Double check to make sure all you basic husbandry is correct. Heat gradient 85*warm end 78* cool end. Good hides where snake feels secure. Water bowl big enough to soak in. Privacy and quiet time. Put a mouse in the cage and leave it overnight. Let the snake eat when it’s ready.

Bottom line, I haven't read anything in any of your posts that make me worry. I don't think and of the worst case scenarios should be considered at this point. Just relax and your snake will too

akai06
07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Yeah, im not really freaking out just yet, just want to cover the bases so im prepared. I agree shes as normal as it gets except for the feeding and pooping. By the way she usually does poop twice before feeding again, once 2 days after previous feeding and then again before the next feeding. So on that account shes definitely due. She eats in a feeding tub, so foreign objects causing impaction is minimized, other than the food itself. There most surely is something out of the ordinary, at least not yet experienced, (for us) going on. Shes always taken her food and pooped like clockwork. That said, theres a lot of speculation happening on my account, and thats exactly what it is speculation from information gathered, no definites or even probables. But like i said i wanted to cover all aspects. I understand theres a lot of "it could be" in this issue but if i provide her with the appropriate care and a little extra it couldnt hurt. All the basic husbandry stuff is normal, temps/humidity fine, substrate-the same ive used for months, water dish large and full, hides on both sides. the only difference other than her behavior is that spring has turned into summer. Oh a local also suggested trying live food to see if she takes it. haven't done that yet though. I feel i have time and at this point thats what ill give her for now.

wade
07-08-2008, 05:11 PM
You're going to make yourself crazy. Everything you have mentioned is normal for a healthy normal snake. There is no reason to research impaction. Your snake is never going to poop according to a schedule. I don't poop on a schedule. Some nights I eat a big dinner. Some times just a salad is enough. Don't over analyze this.