PDA

View Full Version : how do you tell what a regurg is

how do you tell what a regurg is

reptbilly71
07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
I was wondering how you tell a regurg from a fully digested pinkie. I have a 6 month old corn if I go by what the pet store said his age was. I have had him for about a month now. I have been feeding him a pinkie once a week but have noticed him being quite active recently so it had been five days since his last feeding. I have been referring to Purser's book "Corn & Rat Snakes" on feeding amount and age. I fed him a pinkie on the 8th of July; I was a little concerned about the size of the pinkie I fed him last, because it looked A little fatter in the middle; well the 9th of July there was what looked like a possible digested fecal matter in vive. Hoping this isn't to long but I usually don't feed a new pinkie until I find fecal matter. Should I feed him a pinkie 3-4 days? or once a week

bitsy
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
If it's a regurge, the room will stink, you will throw up and any cats/dogs/etc will leave home in disgust, retching as they go.

Really.

A regurge smells baaaaaad!

If it smelled like poop, then it was just poop.

Standard feeding interval when on pinkies seems to be one every 4 or 5 days.

wade
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Puke and poop. You guys are disgusting.

The regurge will look more like a mouse than poop. And you will smell it.

Feed amount is really determined more by snake size than age. The mouse size should be about 1 1/2 times the middle of the snake size. It should make a lump in the snake that takes 2 or 3 days to go down.

Don't worry so much about monitoring his poop frequency. Set up a feeding schedule and stick to it fairly closely. You can feed as often as every 4 or 5 days if you want quick growth. Every 7 days is an easier schedule to maintain and is just fine for the snake.

Caryl
07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Bitsy's right, regurges smell awful. However, if your snake is small the stench is likewise less. If you're feeding right after an elimination, that's a pretty aggressive feeding routine. You may want to check out the Munson plan and consider using it as a guideline. If your snake did regurge, be conscientious about trying to figure out why, and following standard regurge protocol. Repeated regurges can be life-threatening. Good luck, and let us know what's going on.

Nanci
07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
Bitsy's right, regurges smell awful. However, if your snake is small the stench is likewise less.

I don't know about that, I think Jasper was about 12 grams when he regurged, and it smelled like there was a rotting dead body hidden in my bedroom. VERY strong!! I finally found a tiny smear of regurge in his plant, and although I washed and washed it and changed his aspen, the smell lingered for at least a week.

reptbilly71
07-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you every one for your knowledge. After posting my question I checked the archives, about the regurge. The stuff I found did not have a strong smell so it must have been poo. Thanks again and the help with feeding.

Caryl
07-11-2008, 08:48 AM
You're welcome. Glad your snake is okay. Best of luck.