PDA

View Full Version : Rocky the Snorkel Snake?

Rocky the Snorkel Snake?

jhammer
07-11-2008, 02:01 AM
My juvenile Anery named Rocky is a barrel of laughs. He always finds a way to make me chuckle in one way or another. He is shy for the most part and still a little jumpy. But, he is absolutely not aggressive. I hold him a little bit almost everyday. (Except post-feed and shed) He has already calmed down alot. Once held, he is very friendly and likes to explore. He always like to "hide" in his box or bury himself. But, he has an interesting and funny habit. He likes to bury himself and have his head sticking out like a snorkel. I guess he wants to remain "hidden" but not miss anything either!! haha

tbtusk
07-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Yup i've seen that. My parents and I call it "peeking". Sorrano the ultramel, particularly loves to peek.

What I think's even funnier, when they are trying to hide and leave their tail out in plain view. The'll be curled up in a hide or under the aspen with the bright red or yellow tail sticking straight out. Its like the If I can't see you you cant see me thing.

Caryl
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes, it sounds like Rocky want to view the world from a safe place. One of mine (Boz) likes to sleep under a curled piece of bark. When he wakes up, his head pops up from an end, and there he stays for an hour or so before coming out to explore. His head and the curved bark look rather like an odd turtle. Aren't these critters interesting?

Welcome again, and enjoy.

Widget
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
We call it periscope snake at our house. Almost all of mine do it. A few peek out of their hides and watch what's going on as well.

jhammer
07-11-2008, 04:19 PM
I fed him today and he ate fine, but he seemed a little crabby so I limited my holding time before feeding him....

jhammer
07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I fed him today and he ate fine, but he seemed a little crabby so I limited my holding time before feeding him....

Let me clarify a little....haha....He was a little skittish, but when I held him a little he was fine, but I could tell he wasn't real into it today....So, since I fed him, I'll let him chill until Monday....

reptbilly71
07-12-2008, 09:33 AM
My 6 month old corn has been doing the same thing lately. He will just have his head out then come out slowly a little at a time. I just installed a jungle vine from exo terra and boy did Cisco take to it like a duck takes to water.

doortech9
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
We call it periscope snake at our house. Almost all of mine do it. A few peek out of their hides and watch what's going on as well.

Haha thats what we call it too, My jungle spends most of her time in that position.

Widget
07-12-2008, 11:15 AM
They're so cute when the do it. I'd love to get a pic of it, but since everyone is in tubs it's more difficult. Either it would come out all cloudy if I take it through the tub. But if I take the lid off then they duck back in. :headbang:

Maybe if I have lots of spare time on my hands, I'll wait until they're doing it and open the lid and then just sit quietly with the camera until they come out again.

Lynnea
07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Yep, they are endlessly fascinating to me, and amusing! I also have one that "periscopes" his head out of the aspen--it's so funny! I also have a snow that is always "spying" from her hide, either at the end as pictured or a side hole: