PDA

View Full Version : feeding in cage

feeding in cage

DirtySanchez
07-14-2003, 10:58 AM
I was just wondering why is it better to feed the snakes out side the cage(i mean in a different cage rather than the one the live in)????

bmm
07-14-2003, 03:17 PM
I don't feel its better at all. I feed all my snakes in cage. No problems here.

But if you want to feed IN cage you MUST and I mean must use either paper towel or newspaper. ANY other substrate can be swallowed and could be fatal.

bmm

Iris
07-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Someone once suggested you could still feed in the cage as long as you put a papertowel over the aspen bedding. I did that once and my snake dragged the mouse off of the paper towel and all through the aspen shavings. The mouse was wet (f/t) and got aspen ALL OVER IT. I had the worst time trying to pick off the pieces before my snake could swallow the whole thing.
Now I just feed on a table top or a spare plastic container.

Drizzt80
07-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Don't want to get into a live vs. frozen/thawed debate, but I generally feed live pinkies and fuzzies and prekilled mice to my snakes. I feed frozen as my live supply dictates, and have had no problem with my current collection of snakes refusing either/or types of meals.

To answer the posted question, I feed all my snakes (30+) in their cages. In all the yearling and hatchling cages I have given them a plastic cup hide similar to what you get mealworm or waxworms in. The lid is on, with a round hole cut in the top. Whenever I feed, the pinky/fuzzy is placed inside the cup with the snake. Works like a charm, and I don't have to worry about them sticking to substrate.

As for the substrate swallowing issue. Just how many wild corns, young or old, have a guardian angel picking debris off their meal? Conversely, how many wild snakes die from compactions? Can't answer either one, but I do believe in survival of the fittest, even in captivity. I don't see any reason why a healthy adult snake shouldn't/couldn't pass a few particles of substrate that they swallow. Can't be too different from what happens in the wild.

Just my opinion.
D80

Darin Chappell
07-14-2003, 04:27 PM
D80,

You're absolutely right about the natural aspect of picking up debris along with the prey item for wild corns. I'm sure some of them do die, but most of them don't. In my own collection, I have had several corns ingest aspen shavings at one time or another, and they have had no ill-effects. Well, except for the hypo bloodred female . . .she (the most valuable snake in my racks, mind you) . . .she perferated her gut with the stuff and keeled over!

Sometimes it's just survival of the luckiest rather than the fittest, and my more expensive animals always seem to be the unluckiest of all. Then again, maybe it's just me that's unlucky!

:eek:

Drizzt80
07-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Darin, (and to others I guess!)

Recently I acquired Nutric-bac to start making sure my corns guts were loaded sufficiently etc. Well the first time I used it, no one warned me that the stuff was stickier than glue!! To my horror I watched my first two yearling snakes swallow what looked like aspen christmas trees as the shavings stuck to their hopper meals. They were halfway down already when I noticed it, and attempts to pick off what was left mid swallow were futile. Needless to say I was worried over the following days, but to no avail. They were fine, passed their stools, and have eaten several weekly meals since, and that was a month and a half ago. You could say I got lucky this time!

I learned a valuable lesson though, and now inject the meals with nutribac or vitamins when I do give them. Might suggest that to others as well who feed in cage.

D80

bmm
07-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Although you are correct, wild snakes ingest some nasty substrates, they also harbor bacteria, parasites, eat rotten food, most clutches don't make it, they die of impaction, live years upon years less than captive snakes. So I'd rather stay away from the wild aspect when dealing with my captive snakes.

I did once have an amel het charcoal housed on aspen. Never ever fed him on it, yet he died from being impacted with it. *shrug* go figure. LOL

:D

bmm