PDA

View Full Version : Wanted corn snakes

Wanted corn snakes

broncos42
07-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey all, I am looking for someone that has some young corns (preferably hatchling up to a year old) I am located in dallas texas so I am looking for someone in this area and we could meet up some where so we dont worrie bout shipping and the cost for it. I am on a limited budget so i want to spend like forty or under. I really like the het amel. If anyone has anything please contact me at gojosh4@aol.com with a pic of da snake.
thanks
josh

TripleMoonsExotic
07-13-2008, 09:38 PM
What do you mean you really like the het Amel?

A het Amel can't be visually identified. Do you mean you like Amels?

broncos42
07-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Yeah I just saw a picture of one and the name under it said het amel so yeah

Blue Apple Herps
07-13-2008, 10:47 PM
A het amel would just look like a regular cornsnake. Maybe it was mislabeled? Anyways, I'm up in Lewisville TX (just north of Dallas) and already have some hatchlings, and will have more hatching in the next couple of weeks.

It says you're 14, so I'd have to speak with your parents before I could sell you anything. But shoot me a pm or an email: info@blueappleherps.com and maybe we can work something out.

TripleMoonsExotic
07-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Matt (blueapplepaste) is a good person to deal with. I highly recommend him. :)

ComoxCorn
07-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Make sure you have proper housing, read up a little and go out and get yourself a corn snake. They're great as pets. Many good people here will help you out when you're looking for advice. Good luck and enjoy your corn when you get it.;)

CaptBogart
07-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Your best bet would be to check the cultivars section to see what exactly you want. That will probably save you some disappointment in getting something unexpected...

broncos42
07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
I already have a good twenty gallon already with pine bedding a couple of sticks and a hide box. I also have a heater on one side. Is that good should I do something different? How long can I keep a corn in a twenty gallon? ( like how old)

CaptBogart
07-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I already have a good twenty gallon already with pine bedding a couple of sticks and a hide box. I also have a heater on one side. Is that good should I do something different? How long can I keep a corn in a twenty gallon? ( like how old)

Ditch the pine, it's poisonous to snakes... hit the husbandry section for a bit, you'll get there...

broncos42
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Its like the kind you get in the big bags at the pet store for rabbits.

CaptBogart
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Its like the kind you get in the big bags at the pet store for rabbits.

But your not setting up a tank for a rabbit... You'll want to get Aspen... No Pine, No Cedar...

broncos42
07-14-2008, 08:55 PM
okay thats my bad I just checked the bag and it is aspen.

CaptBogart
07-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Lol, ok you're good. You can keep your Corn in a 20 gallon into adulthood. If you have the screen top that sits on the tank, you'll want to get the clips that hold it on tight. The next thing you'll want is a digital thermometer with a probe, and set the probe on the aspen right above the heat pad to see what kind of temperatures you've got. Depending on your air conditioning, you may not even need the heat pad yet. The heaters usually run too hot, and if that's the case you'll have to get a thermostat to regulate the temperature, so the snake doesn't get burned, or a rheostat, (type of dimmer switch), to dial down the heat. Let your setup run now so you can check it and get everything right before you get your new pet.

broncos42
07-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Ok I have on of those under the tank heaters and when it has been on for a while It only feels warm to my hand. Is that not hot enough? what is the right tempa? I will head to the petstore to get a thromomenter

Blue Apple Herps
07-15-2008, 11:31 AM
You can get a thermometer from wal-mart for a lot less. Its the accurite brand. You want to get one with a probe that you can put directly on top of the UTH so you know the temp right on it. Aim for ~82-84 degrees.

broncos42
07-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Do I turn the heater off at night??

broncos42
07-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Another question should I start off with a hatchling or should I with a more older one like three or so?? I do want to get a small one because of my twenty gallon

Drewby07
07-15-2008, 01:49 PM
No offense here, but you really need to do some research before buying a corn snake. It will save you and your snake a lot of time and possibly keep you from making a mistake that winds up killing your snake.

Here's a great place to start! http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341

broncos42
07-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I have already done all sorts of research and stuff read a book. I am just double checking with the experts.

Drewby07
07-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Ok. Not claiming to be an expert here....but here are answers to a few of your questions...which I suspect you already know from all of your research.

Ok I have on of those under the tank heaters and when it has been on for a while It only feels warm to my hand. Is that not hot enough? what is the right tempa?

The proper temp on the warm side of your viv should be around 85°. This is lower than your body temp, so if it feels WARM....you likely have it way too hot.

Do I turn the heater off at night??

No.

Another question should I start off with a hatchling or should I with a more older one like three or so?? I do want to get a small one because of my twenty gallon

A 20 gallon tank is the appropriate size for an adult corn. A hatchling would likely be stressed by having too much "wide open space". If you do get a hatchling, you need to provide something smaller for it to grow up in...like a Kritter Keeper or sterilite shoebox of the appropriate size.