PDA

View Full Version : Weird regurgitation - advice please!

Weird regurgitation - advice please!

LouiseB
07-16-2008, 04:36 AM
My corn has just done something a bit weird. Yesterday she was due to be fed, so I took her out of her viv and put her in her feeding box with the fuzzie. As soon as she was in there, she started making retching motions with her mouth, and then she brought up a blob of skin and fur, with a load of mucus. I put her back in her viv straight away and she went to her water bowl and had a big drink, then just went back in her hide. This morning, she seemed fine, moving about and flicking her tongue, but I didn't want to touch her in case it made her ill again.
The weird thing is, it was five days after her last feed, and she'd defecated the night before I tried to feed her, so I didn't think there would be anything for her to regurgitate. She is about 11 months old, the temperature in her viv is fine, and I haven't changed her food recently.
How should I treat her from here? Should I avoid handling her, and when will it be OK to try feeding her again? And does the fact that she regurged after defecating mean that her digestion isn't right?

LouiseB
07-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Nobody? Sorry, I know I ask a lot of questions, but I'm not all that experienced with snakes, and I really don't know what to do for the best...

PtDnsr
07-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Wait 10 days and then feed a smaller than usual item (in this case probably a pinky) for a few feeds to get all the good gut bacteria replenished. You can search for Kathy Love's regurge FAQ as well (I don't have the link saved on this computer or I'd give it to you). Treating with something like NutriBac wouldn't hurt either. Just go slow with the feeding to get her back on schedule. One regurge isn't good but two is even worse.

~Katie

kc261
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
What about why she would regurge 5 days after being fed? That is what I was curious about in reading the story.

Coty
07-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I am no expert but I can make some guesses.

1. There was insufficient heat for her to digest the meal. From what I understand, if it is not warm enough the snake will not digest quickly enough and the food will begin to rot in the stomach thus a regurge. From what I understand, the metabolism and thus the rate of digestion slow down when the temperature is a bit lower than what is required.

2. I do not know a ton about the subject, and I would hazard to guess it did not involve this (considering this meal was from 5 days ago at the time of your posting) but digestion problems can also be caused when the food item is not thawed sufficiently.

3. Digestion may have been a little bit slower due to one or both of the above factors, so if/when she was handled in preparation for the meal she may have become stressed out and regurged.

Although it does sound like a long time, my little amel pooped last night which was 5 days after her last meal. I had waited at least 36 hours after her meal before I handled her and I had cleaned up after her at least twice since her feeding. However, it did appear to be mostly undigested skin when she did finally go.

Coty
07-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Just a side note, I would keep an especially close eye on her for a bit. From what I understand, mucus (if that is what it really was) is usually associated with respiratory problems.

Out of curiousity, what are the temperatures in the tank and what is the average humidity? Long term exposure to high humidity can contribute to RIs (respiratory infections).

P.S. Sorry for double posting, and again - I am by no means an expert so take this with a grain of salt.

LouiseB
07-17-2008, 04:20 AM
Her temperature at the warm end is usually around 85 F, so I'm fairly sure she's warm enough. As for the humidity, I don't have a measuring gauge, but when it comes to shedding, she usually needs extra help with humidity, so I think it tends towards being dry rather than moist. I don't know exactly, though. The fuzzie was definitely properly defrosted, and was at room temperature when I fed it to her.
I did speak to the vet, and he asked me to get a poo sample for testing, in case it's something internal. I'm not sure about the respiratory side of things - I'm not an expert either. But surely the mucus came from her stomach..?

WLReptile
07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
1Well I don't think u really said bt are u feeding live food or F/T?
If ur using F/T are u sure its towing compleatly

Sorry poor spelling skills lol

2 I usually feed ma snakes babys F/T and ma adults live bt I always feed mice or rat pupps with out hair unless I need too

O and before anyone says live is not good it can hurt the snake lol
I make sure I knock it out and I always stay and watch lol

MegF.
07-17-2008, 10:09 PM
If you read the post, it was f/t. She said it was at room temp. I usually heat my f/t mice well in very hot water. I get better feeding responses, and if it's warm, I know it's totally defrosted. I would treat this as a genuine regurge even with it being so long after. I would double check that your thermometer is correct and that the temps are in fact at 85 on the warm side, although I have snakes digest primarily on the cool side, even in winter and never had a regurge. I'd also suggest making some cuts in the back skin of the mouse before feeding to help make digestion easier. I also suggest you try some grapefruit seed extract in the water while you wait the 10-14 days post regurge. 2-3 drops per 8 oz. of water. Once you feed, go back to plain water, especially if you do use Nutribac...which is great stuff to use. Feed a smaller than usual food item for at least 3-4 more feedings and wait at least 7 days between feedings. I don't feed more often than that once a snake is off pinkies. If you get another regurge feeding a smaller food item, I would get the snake to a qualified reptile vet as it could be something more serious than just a simple regurge.