PDA

View Full Version : How many days until your corn poos after eating?

How many days until your corn poos after eating?

kcaven
07-17-2008, 07:54 AM
My 11 month old Classic MoJo feeds on a hopper every Sunday. He has been a very good feeder with the exception of two weeks when he was in blue. My question is...

How long does it take your corns to deficate after eating?

MoJo doesnt seem to deficate until anywhere from 5-7 days after eating. Is that normal? He actually deficated right after I put him in his feeding tank right before he chowed down on his next meal. It was a normal looking poo....nothing looked undigested...no hair etc......

I guess he had to make some room! LOL

KJUN
07-17-2008, 08:11 AM
If feeding thawed, we find ours usually defecate in 3-4 days. If feeding pre-killed, it is closer to 4-6 (usually 5) days after eating. This is just for cornsnakes, of course, and only applies to mice. Yours sounds perfectly normal. The defecation right after you moved him to a new tank is stress-related, and is very common. Clean the cage, put them in a new cage, etc......and they defecate. Nothing wrong with it, but it is tied to the "defecate and increase movement" instinct that has been observed in wild snakes. No worries.

KJ

kcaven
07-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Ok good I thought Id ask....

I was jsut unsure because I thought I hadread that you shouldnt handle them until 48 hrs after they eat and after they poo...If I went by that I would never be able to hold him! LOL (I do wait the 48 hrs of course)

wade
07-17-2008, 10:44 AM
I think we over worry the poo process sometimes. How long after a meal do you defecate. Always or is it different some days. Do you worry if it’s an hour late?

When I drive 4 hours to visit my son it messes up my poop schedule. Is this normal? Should I bathe in warm water?

I think sometimes we just need to relax and let nature take its on course. Everything will happen when the time is right.

kcaven
07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I think we over worry the poo process sometimes. How long after a meal do you defecate. Always or is it different some days. Do you worry if it’s an hour late?

When I drive 4 hours to visit my son it messes up my poop schedule. Is this normal? Should I bathe in warm water?

I think sometimes we just need to relax and let nature take its on course. Everything will happen when the time is right.

BAAAAHAAA HAAAA HAAA!!!!!!

That was funny! Hee hee... I wasnt really worried but I thought Id ask since I am relatively new to the world of corn snakes.

jhammer
07-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Mine "does his business" four days after he eats. Plus, it's always in the same spot. Pretty convenient if you ask me.....

Susielea
07-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I've got some hatchlings pooping 24 hours after feeding and I've got some adults waiting 7 days or so, (usually when they're in shed they take longer), before going and the rest are anywhere in between, it's all good as long as they're going :)

PS I love wade's answer...lol

sarcare
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Funny I was just worrying about this same issue--my snake ate two days ago and I wanted to hold her, but i could tell she hadn't poo'd--there was some darker coloration under the skin. I put her back quicker then usual--so hopefully she will feel better later.

kcaven
07-18-2008, 04:11 PM
MoJo eats on Sundays and when I took him out of his viv I could see a "bulge" near his cloaca. There was no sign of poo anywhere in the tank sooooo needless to say he's gotten me good one too many times so I put him back in.

I vote Wade should get into the week in review for his answer! Anyone second that? LOL

Susielea
07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
^^^^^^^^ Yes, I'll second that!!! :D

sandybunny
07-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Funny I was just worrying about this same issue--my snake ate two days ago and I wanted to hold her, but i could tell she hadn't poo'd--there was some darker coloration under the skin. I put her back quicker then usual--so hopefully she will feel better later.

I still take mine out, even if I can tell there is poo right there. I just put them on a towel to slither around on and before you know it, voila. The handling actually helps it come out. ;)

SquamishSerpents
07-19-2008, 09:38 PM
my Zora poops 2 days later, like clockwork, and always in the same place

JoshnJJ
07-20-2008, 01:01 AM
I am not really sure about my snakes, I believe around 2-3 days after eating.

kcaven
07-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I need to "train" my snakes like you all...I want mine to go potty in the same place everytime! Most importantly not on me! LOL

SquamishSerpents
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
haha don't worry, i've been pooped on my fair share! actually one time when i was popping a male snake, i got pooped on, it went straight up in the air and showered back down on me! man, that made for a great lot of jokes by my coworkers.

norm
07-20-2008, 08:08 PM

That was hilarious.

kcaven
07-30-2008, 06:47 AM
So now MoJo has taken on the "routine" of pooing right before he eats in his feeding tank. He has pooed in there for the last couple of times. I cover the bottom of the 10 gallon tank with a line of papertowels just to keep it cleaner. There is a small 3" area at one end that doesnt get covered by the paper towel....guess where he goes each time!!?? Yup. But I guess I cant complain, he isnt pooing on me anymore and he has his "spot" and is on a schedule!

vripley
08-08-2008, 11:12 AM
That's pretty handy! Mello Yellow poops about every 4 days as well, but he drops a duece whenever/wherever the mood inspires him.

(:

Mine "does his business" four days after he eats. Plus, it's always in the same spot. Pretty convenient if you ask me.....

Jimmysan00
09-02-2008, 09:52 AM
It's funny that i read a lot about how snakes poop when stressed, but my new baby corn was taken out of the petstore, and sat in a petco box for an hour while i finalized the tank, and then was put into the new tank. And not once did it poop during this whole ordeal. I was very impressed.