PDA

View Full Version : Need help ASAP!!!!

Need help ASAP!!!!

kierancj
07-19-2008, 02:55 PM
OK just braught a corn snake of the internet
the lady seemed nice and send me lovely pictures of the snake
Got there and picked it up and OMG!!! this thing is so aggresive... It bites and strikes everytime you go to pick it up... if you go near it it shakes its tail like a rattlesnake
WTF
can any 1 give me any adivise

RobbiesCornField
07-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Let it calm down for a week or so before you try holding it. I've been bitten more times by fresh out of the deli cup snakes than any others. But with careful, cautioned handling, it will calm down in time.

kierancj
07-19-2008, 03:04 PM
i hope so
i cant have a snake like this with my kids
they get my other snakes out al the time
so im guna have to lock this 1 in my room for abit

kierancj
07-19-2008, 03:05 PM
and btw this is not a baby snake its a 4ft long female

ghosthousecorns
07-19-2008, 03:08 PM
How old is it? Babies are not used to being handled, especially if it comes from a breeder who sn't going to be spending time trying to tame each hatchling. And if it's a baby it can't even break your skin. In its eyes you could be a huge predator that might want to eat it, so give it some time as Robbie suggested to get used to its cage and then try to ignore your gut reaction and just pick it up. It will quickly calm down.

Roy Munson
07-19-2008, 03:08 PM
First of all, "WTF" is not appropriate for this forum. Second, how does it apply to the situation anyway? Why is the behavior so baffling? It's a cornsnake. A cornsnake that feels threatened will rattle and bite. Did you let the snake settle in after you received it? I don't know how old the snake is, but a lot of very young snakes can be defensive until they stop seeing humans as a threat. That's why many experienced keepers recommend very little handling until a snake is at least a few months old. A newly arrived young snake may need a week or so to even start feeling comfortable in a new home. They should be left alone for most of this time. A defensive adult corn may take longer to settle in and start feeling comfortable.

The snake can't really hurt you, so keep that in mind when you need to handle it. Don't make jerky motions toward the snake because you're nervous. Just go in and grab it low. If you need to wear a dishwashing glove or something to make you feel more comfortable, then do it.

Good luck!

ghosthousecorns
07-19-2008, 03:09 PM
and btw this is not a baby snake its a 4ft long female

Oh ok same advice only wear gloves if you are nervous about being bitten.

tom e
07-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Yep! Baby snakes will strike as a bluff and sometimes with very real intention to bite! It still scares me a little, but I can assure you it won't hurt. Also most calm down quite a bit on their own, just let him get used to his new home.
Do whatever you can to make him comfortable, give him lots of hide spots, make sure the temps are good etc.

You'll be alright, and he's no danger to your kids at all.

kierancj
07-19-2008, 03:14 PM
The snake is 3 years old
babies i cnat understand biting yes

pipi5xtra
07-19-2008, 03:21 PM
I can understand an adult snake biting. Corns are still a wild animal at the end of the day. How long did you leave the snake to settle inot its new home before handling. I always leave any new snakes corns or balls to settle in for a week only changing water then I feed and wait 48 hrs before handling. If the snake is stressed and perceives you as a threat it will strike regardless of age. As I say if you own snakes then expect to bit. It just happens sometimes.

ghosthousecorns
07-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Remember it just had a stressful journey in a box and is probably just wanting to hide and feel safe. Even the tamest adults can strike, I had one that never struck at anybody in its life take a lunge at a kid at a reptile show which I suspected was due to rough handling. No blood thank god, but still resulted in a crying child and I felt terrible but never blamed the snake.

miranda
07-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Give it some time. Poor snake.

Can't you empathize?

sandybunny
07-19-2008, 09:04 PM
The snake is 3 years old
babies i cnat understand biting yes

Please use the spell check button, I don't like reading fragmented sentences and misspelled words.
This snakes behavior does not sound strange at all. Give him/her a chance to settle in, and just tell your kids to leave this one alone until you say it's OK to handle it.

ghosthousecorns
07-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Please use the spell check button, I don't like reading fragmented sentences and misspelled words.
This snakes behavior does not sound strange at all. Give him/her a chance to settle in, and just tell your kids to leave this one alone until you say it's OK to handle it.

What kids? There haven't been any mentioned in any of the posts in this thread by Kieran. And at age 18 I kinda doubt that Kieran has had any yet. I could be wrong though ;)

sandybunny
07-19-2008, 09:23 PM
i hope so
i cant have a snake like this with my kids
they get my other snakes out al the time
so im guna have to lock this 1 in my room for abit

Post #3, I missed it first time I read it, too.

ghosthousecorns
07-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh OK Thanks -Wow they start young these days. Yes I can see why it's not a good situation then. I hope the snake gets more mellow.

kierancj
07-20-2008, 11:00 AM
not my kids lol
my lil bro n sis

JoshnJJ
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Haha, you said your kids!
If they are your little brother and sister say so.

-JJ

snakewispera snr
07-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Thats all part of the joys of keeping snakes......just because the other snakes you have don't bite doesn't mean they're all non biters...... Let it settle in for a few weeks....Only change it's water for the next week and then try and feed it next week.....After a few feedings it should feel safer and you can start the process of calming it down..... Do that alone so as not to confuse the snake with too many new peoples scents.... Best of luck with it......