• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Size question....

jhammer

I had a silly feeding question. I've had a couple snakes in my day, but I could use some assistance.

July162008015.jpg

July162008014.jpg

July162008010.jpg

Rocky is around 19-22 inches long. Basically he's almost as long as his 15 gal cage. I provided the best pictures I could for a size reference. I'm feeding him a pinky every 5-6 days. The problem is that my scale has magically vanished into thin air. I would like to weigh him and follow the Munson Plan more strictly. I am going to try to start him on double pinkies this Wednesday because I believe he can handle them. (He can probably eat peach fuzzies actually) He ate on Thursday and I did not see him on Friday, so I couldn't tell if he had a food lump. He came out on his limb yesterday and no real lump was visible. So, I guess my question was, judging the best you can by his size, would you think double pinkies would be fine? I don't want him to regurge. I had a rough time with a regurging Red-Tail a few years ago. Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

I wanted to add that I really care about my little friend and I just want to do what's best for him. He's beautiful on the outside and the inside!!!!!

not exactly sure without weighing him. I've got a few 2008 hatchlings that are about 4 months old that are already eating sm. fuzzies. Hard to tell, sorry.

My snake is only 15 inches or so, but is on double pinks. Of course it might also decide on how big the pinkies are--some are quite small, while others are much bigger!

My snake is already 16.5" and i started him on double pinks last week. He took them like a champ. the only thing i've really changed is the time between feedings, which is now every 7 days instead of 6. :) i'd recommend at least trying it - if he isn't interested in the 2nd mouse, then wait a week or 2 and try again. Good luck!

A prey item the size of one and one half times the width of the snake is the general advice around here. He looks ready for fuzzies, but my breeder only recommends increasing by 30% for a few feeds each, to prevent any regurgs. YMMV.

I gave Rocky two pinkies today and he took them both without hesitation. Now, he's relaxing under his warm hide. I think he was shocked when I put the second one in because he gave me a look like he was saying, "Is that for me too?"

Back