PDA

View Full Version : Can snakes catch cat flu?

Can snakes catch cat flu?

Tracee
07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, only I couldn't search "cat flu" because the words are too short!

Hubby and I yesterday acquired (half wanted/half rescued) two kittens that we have today discovered have cat flu. They are being treated already and are confined to one room, not able to roam the house. Still I am terrified I might have done something very stupid by taking these cats in and put my snake's health at risk :(

Could anyone knowledgeable put my mind at ease or, if my fears are true, tell me whether I should find snakey a new temporary home, or if separating them is enough?

We are of course washing hands thoroughly after handling the kittens and I am leaving Charlie (my snake) well alone anyway, but I am worried that even after the cats are better, the virus could be airborne and will stick around, and I would be absolutely devastated if I infected my snake.

Google is no help, can anyone else help us? Thank you.

Roy Munson
07-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey Tracee! Long time, no see. :)

I really don't think you have to worry about Chas-zilla. I would think that you and the hubby are at more risk than Charles, and that risk is probably fairly minimal. Of course, I'm no vet or MD, so my opinions are uninformed...

Ceridwen
07-21-2008, 05:09 PM
As far as I am aware (and I have specifically asked my vet about it), cats are the only animals that catch cat flu. My cat is a lifelong carrier (due to underlying asthma) and has never gotten a snake sick in nearly 4 years of living with them.

If you are really concerned, you could call a herp vet to confirm.

Tracee
07-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Thank you thank you thank you sooo much, my goodness I can't tell you how relieved I am to be reassured about this, I was in tears at the thought of having hurt Charlie or possibly have to find him a new home I LOVE him!! :(

If no one had replied this morning (it's still before 9am here) I was poised ready to phone anyone and everyone I know who has a snake to ask them. Wow the relief is unbelievable, thank you so much for putting my mind at ease.

I must try to spend more time on the forum I know Dean, am just such a busy girl nowadays - but it just shows, you guys are always here when someone needs you. Thank you x

Kokopelli
07-22-2008, 05:49 AM
No there's no risk of it transferring to you or your snakes... it's not a Zoonosis(a disease capable of transfer from animals, to human beings, and vice versa). It cannot harm a reptile, the metabolism is entirely different.

Tracee
08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
No there's no risk of it transferring to you or your snakes... it's not a Zoonosis(a disease capable of transfer from animals, to human beings, and vice versa). It cannot harm a reptile, the metabolism is entirely different.
Thank you, I was desperately hoping that would be the case but I've heard terrible stories of parvo in snakes and panicked.

Thank you all again :)

eicos
08-05-2008, 10:24 PM
There is no real "cat flu" since "flu" is in reference to influenza virus, and what is commonly referred to as "cat flu" is just a nonspecific description for respiratory disease that can be caused by a couple of different viruses (calicivirus or rhinotracheitis most commonly) or even bacteria (Bordetella). An FVRCP (feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, panleukopenia) vaccine will help to protect your kittens.

These feline viruses are not transmissible to snakes.

Ginafish
08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
There is no real "cat flu" since "flu" is in reference to influenza virus, and what is commonly referred to as "cat flu" is just a nonspecific description for respiratory disease that can be caused by a couple of different viruses (calicivirus or rhinotracheitis most commonly) or even bacteria (Bordetella). An FVRCP (feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, panleukopenia) vaccine will help to protect your kittens.

These feline viruses are not transmissible to snakes.

Well said! In addition to getting an FVRCP vaccine for your kitties your vet will probably recommend FELV (feline leukemia) and FIP (feline infectious peritonitis) vaccines. I'd say get 'em all, especially if these are going to be indoor/outdoor cats, or have been exposed to other cats.

Shiari
08-05-2008, 10:41 PM
NO! Do NOT vaccinate your cat for FIP! It's exceptionally rare, there's thoughts that it's actually caused by a mutation of the corona virus present in pretty much every cat AND the vaccine actually increases the chances your animal will get FIP because FIP is in part an over-reaction by the immune system.

is bad idea! D:

Tracee
08-06-2008, 04:46 AM
Wow there are cat experts on the forum too :) Thanks for the replies.

Vaccinations etc are all in hand. They will be old enough in two weeks, and I shall have them vaccinated against any and all problems my vet recommends, they are very good and I trust them entirely.

Now just to put my house back together after the monsters have wrecked the place..