PDA

View Full Version : Sneez or Cough ?

Sneez or Cough ?

Spurticus
07-22-2008, 10:28 AM
I know I'm asking a lot of questions right now, but getting used to having a corn snake is so cool !!!

I picked up the snake yesterday morning for a short time, and could have sworn I heard and felt her Sneeze / cough !

I have had one strike and tag me a couple of times, so I know this wasn't her being aggresive or hissing at me. This was a distictive sound like a sneez or cough and I felt her "recoil" when she did it. After the sneeze (or cough) she was fine and crawled around for a few minutes without any problems.

Anyone else have theirs do this ? . . . is it normal ?

bitsy
07-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Could be either. They sometimes cough if they've been drinking deeply and managed to get some in their windpipe (the end of it opens in the floor of their mouth). They sometimes sneeze if their nostrils are blocked or ticklish - this can happen when leading up to a shed as the skin loosens around the end of the snout first.

Not a common occurrence, but happens every so often. As long as it's a one-off, it'll be fine.

Cute, isn't it?

Spurticus
07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Could be either. They sometimes cough if they've been drinking deeply and managed to get some in their windpipe (the end of it opens in the floor of their mouth). They sometimes sneeze if their nostrils are blocked or ticklish - this can happen when leading up to a shed as the skin loosens around the end of the snout first.

Not a common occurrence, but happens every so often. As long as it's a one-off, it'll be fine.

Cute, isn't it?

Absolutely !
And my wife wanted fish . . . . .. THIS IS WAY BETTER THAN FISH !!!!

:roflmao:

brtrude
07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
dont worry about asking too many questions mate. Its normal to be paranoid about everything if your new to the game (and what a wonderful game it is). i remember when i first got dezmond, i was SO paranoid! i ws posting questions all the time, is this normal? why did he do that? whats rong with him? lol But luckily all the people on this site(including myself) are always more than happy to help and give advise no matter how many wuestions you post.
What i would recommend is reading through lots of the previous posts on the behaviour and health forums. Youl gain lots of great information just by reading and keeping an eye open on the other threads without having to post. then if your snake does something and youv already read about it, and you know its a common thing. youl know its normal.
Iv had my snake for a good while now and hes the koolest snake ever, i rescently got my second snake, an adult female. But the next one i get will be a hatchling (i want anuver baby snake lol) but i know i wont be anywer near as paranoid.:santa:
all the best mate :)
Hope youv got some good advise from my post

Spurticus
07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
dont worry about asking too many questions mate. Its normal to be paranoid about everything if your new to the game (and what a wonderful game it is). i remember when i first got dezmond, i was SO paranoid! i ws posting questions all the time, is this normal? why did he do that? whats rong with him? lol But luckily all the people on this site(including myself) are always more than happy to help and give advise no matter how many wuestions you post.
What i would recommend is reading through lots of the previous posts on the behaviour and health forums. Youl gain lots of great information just by reading and keeping an eye open on the other threads without having to post. then if your snake does something and youv already read about it, and you know its a common thing. youl know its normal.
Iv had my snake for a good while now and hes the koolest snake ever, i rescently got my second snake, an adult female. But the next one i get will be a hatchling (i want anuver baby snake lol) but i know i wont be anywer near as paranoid.:santa:
all the best mate :)
Hope youv got some good advise from my post

I did man. And the advice was much appreciated.
I'll check through some of the older posts too.

rep headed your way !

Caryl
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I got my first one in February, and I've learned so much from this forum. Yes, this is absolutely more fun than fish! There's a lot to learn, but the people here are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences. I'm a high school teacher, currently out of school, and I'm going to go into withdrawal when the school year begins again and I can't spend as much time here!

Spurticus
07-24-2008, 07:37 PM
I got my first one in February, and I've learned so much from this forum. Yes, this is absolutely more fun than fish! There's a lot to learn, but the people here are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences. I'm a high school teacher, currently out of school, and I'm going to go into withdrawal when the school year begins again and I can't spend as much time here!

I'm a moderator on a Gamecock message board, and I finally got a chance to get a corn snake after wanting one pretty much all my life. I keep switching back and forth from one board to the other now. I want to get as much knowledge on raising my snake up right. College Football is right around the corner so I'm having to cram all I can right now.

Caryl
07-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Have you gotten any books yet? The forum's fantastic, but it's also great to have hard copies of info - and easier to read in bed, lol. Kathy Love's "Corn Snakes: The Comprehensive Owner's Guide" should be on every owner's shelf. Don Soderberg's "Corn Snakes in Captivity" is a good one, too. Enjoy your new addiction. It's - dare I say it? - much more fun than football!

sarcare
07-25-2008, 09:56 PM
What is with the fish dis'n?! I happen to know several people who keep both snakes AND fish--they both have their advantages! I have to say that my big angelfish Louie has WAY more personality then my snake, as much as I love the snakey. I can't hold my fish, but my fish beg for attention and food, and Louie always comes and follows me around. You can do both!

Spurticus
07-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Have you gotten any books yet? The forum's fantastic, but it's also great to have hard copies of info - and easier to read in bed, lol. Kathy Love's "Corn Snakes: The Comprehensive Owner's Guide" should be on every owner's shelf. Don Soderberg's "Corn Snakes in Captivity" is a good one, too. Enjoy your new addiction. It's - dare I say it? - much more fun than football!

Oh Yeah
First thing I did when I got the first snake I had (the wild caught) was run down to Library and picked up a few. I didn't get through all of them, but did skim over the most important parts. I got books specific for the area (SouthEast) and two that were for Care and Rasing of Corn and Rat Snakes.

There were four that I liked out of the 6 or 7 I checked out, so I went to Barnes and Knobles and ordered those. Between the books, and you guys here I've got my bases covered. VooDoo is in good hands

Spurticus
07-26-2008, 06:17 AM
What is with the fish dis'n?! I happen to know several people who keep both snakes AND fish--they both have their advantages! I have to say that my big angelfish Louie has WAY more personality then my snake, as much as I love the snakey. I can't hold my fish, but my fish beg for attention and food, and Louie always comes and follows me around. You can do both!

Not dis'n fish (even though it may have sounded that way). My ex wife and I had a large aquarium for about 8 years. Freshwater fish, but I loved that thing. My wife now has suggest us starting one for the past few years, but we just haven't done it yet.
One compromise I made with her when I brought the snake home was that I will get VooDoo a bigger tank and we'll use this 29 gallon aqum. to and get some fish as well. . . . I'm looking for a 55 gallon tank (or larger) now for my snake. . the wife is already picking out what fish and the decorations she wants to start the Aquarium with