PDA

View Full Version : Non-feeding hatchlings. help!

Non-feeding hatchlings. help!

RobbiesCornField
07-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Okay, so this year, I had 4 eggs hatch out. Numbers 2 and 3 are on their second meal this week, but numbers 1 and 4 still haven't even touched their pinkies. Number 4 is the runt of the clutch, and I think just a bit too big for him, so I offered a fuzzy tail, and he hasn't even touched that. Number 1 is a bit bigger, but still isn't interested, even after braining the pinkie, and scenting it with chicken broth. HELP!!!

ghosthousecorns
07-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Did you try tease feeding yet?
http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54474

RobbiesCornField
07-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Did you try tease feeding yet?
http://cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54474

I tried tease feeding number 1, and he nabbed it and whipped it around a bit before throwing it back into the tub I was holding him over.

Just a little more info on these babies, they were born on 07/07/08, and for some reason, haven't shed yet either. I wish I could give you sizes and weights, but I don't have a scale yet.

ghosthousecorns
07-23-2008, 01:04 AM
If he nabbed it that's a good sign. Sometimes it takes a few tries. You could also try live, scenting with dirty mouse bedding, or as last resort catch a little fence lizard and use that for scenting, those are what I usually try. I never had much luck with chicken broth or tuna juice.

RobbiesCornField
07-23-2008, 01:05 AM
If he nabbed it that's a good sign. Sometimes it takes a few tries. You could also try live, scenting with dirty mouse bedding, or as last resort catch a little fence lizard and use that for scenting, those are what I usually try. I never had much luck with chicken broth or tuna juice.

He's sitting in a deli cup right now with a chicken broth scented pink. The little runt, I have no idea what to do for! He didn't even try to strike at the fuzzy tail...

ghosthousecorns
07-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Oh and BTW I never even try to feed until after the first shed, I just have better luck that way. The first week or so I just let them chill in some damp moss so they can shed OK :)

RobbiesCornField
07-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Oh and BTW I never even try to feed until after the first shed, I just have better luck that way. The first week or so I just let them chill in some damp moss so they can shed OK :)

I gave 'em a week before I tried the first feeding, and babies 2 and 3 took to it just fine! actually, baby 3 wants my finger more than the pinkies, usually. I don't know why they're not shedding. They've all been sitting in their little water dishes (aka 1oz cups) for the past couple days on and off. This is just so very frustrating for me, because number 1 is supposed to go to a new home this week if I can get him to eat.

Jenstar
07-23-2008, 02:05 AM
O.k. I don't know much about baby snakes, but the lady I am buying my snakes from said they were really small when they were born and she started by feeding them just the heads of pinkies... Its worth a shot it would suck if your babies die...;) Good Luck...

RobbiesCornField
07-23-2008, 02:37 AM
O.k. I don't know much about baby snakes, but the lady I am buying my snakes from said they were really small when they were born and she started by feeding them just the heads of pinkies... Its worth a shot it would suck if your babies die...;) Good Luck...

I just might have to try that. Or just slice it longways in half... turn it into a hotdog mouse!

Jenstar
07-23-2008, 02:40 AM
I hope it works I like all animals to have a chance... Good Luck and let me know how it goes....

RobbiesCornField
07-23-2008, 02:45 AM
I hope it works I like all animals to have a chance... Good Luck and let me know how it goes....

You can be sure that there will be a big update when they do eat! haha. (notice, I said when, not if. I have faith in these little buggers!)

snakewispera snr
07-23-2008, 04:06 AM
Have you tried using the pink head to open the snakes mouth, then pop in the pink. Thats the method we use if they won't start eating on their own....

RobbiesCornField
07-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Have you tried using the pink head to open the snakes mouth, then pop in the pink. Thats the method we use if they won't start eating on their own....

Have not yet tried that. Thanks for the tip!

pgr8dnlvr
07-23-2008, 12:25 PM
I think you are absolutely worrying prematurely. Usually when babies hatch they have lots of extra food reserve from the eggs. I would agree with others who say don't even try feeding before the shed. If you do, fine, but don't bother with all the extra things to encourage feeding <braining, scenting, tease feeding etc.>

Remember to not try more than every four days, and don't handle the little bugger at all until they have established feeding.

I have what I think is the world record this year for non feeders, and some have hatched in May. Only two out of seventy some odd, look like they are in any danger or kicking the bucket and they were born twins out of one egg. :)

Luckily after the two months all of the sudden some have started eating on their own with no extra encouragement. Even more have taken quite well to the tease feeding, so I have lots of hope!

Don't forget the method that works like a charm for so many, washing the pinks in Ivory soap! ;)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!

Rebecca

RobbiesCornField
07-23-2008, 12:36 PM
I think you are absolutely worrying prematurely. Usually when babies hatch they have lots of extra food reserve from the eggs. I would agree with others who say don't even try feeding before the shed. If you do, fine, but don't bother with all the extra things to encourage feeding <braining, scenting, tease feeding etc.>

Remember to not try more than every four days, and don't handle the little bugger at all until they have established feeding.

I have what I think is the world record this year for non feeders, and some have hatched in May. Only two out of seventy some odd, look like they are in any danger or kicking the bucket and they were born twins out of one egg. :)

Luckily after the two months all of the sudden some have started eating on their own with no extra encouragement. Even more have taken quite well to the tease feeding, so I have lots of hope!

Don't forget the method that works like a charm for so many, washing the pinks in Ivory soap! ;)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!

Rebecca

2 months? really? wow... The only one I'm really worried about is the runt. I don't have a scale just yet, but s/he's tiny! I'm gonna try feeding again in a few days and see what happens.

TripleMoonsExotic
07-23-2008, 01:13 PM

I would never suggest force feeding to a newbie. Especially when the hatchlings are only a few weeks old. Good way to end up with a dead snake. :bang:

jmksnakes
07-23-2008, 01:45 PM
I would never suggest force feeding to a newbie. Especially when the hatchlings are only a few weeks old. Good way to end up with a dead snake. :bang:

I second that, this is option 20 on a list of 20 things to get those babies feeding.

Using the search option (you've probably done that by now), you'll find all the little things to try, and that will give you plenty of options. However, last year the "chicken skin" trick worked for me!! Wrap in frozen pink in raw chicken skin and let it thaw through the day... then give it a try. This trick just worked on one hatchling only, but that's kind of the point. If you've just got two reluctant hatchlings, what gets one hatchling feeding may not work for the other, keep experimenting and hope for the best.