PDA

View Full Version : whats wrong with him

whats wrong with him

eddie
07-17-2003, 03:10 PM
for the past 2 weeks my snake has killed his mouse and left it there....he doenst even try and eat it anymore....the first week he killed it went to swallow it and desided to stop...on tuesday i resived a new snake from rich and there kepyt in the same room but differnt tanks... this wensday he did not eat is there something wrong.. or could it just be the breeding season?

cj_corns789
07-17-2003, 03:45 PM
There is a chance it is because of breeding season, but if not i wont worry to much 2 weeks without eating is nothing to snake. So i would just leave him alone and try next week and see if he eats.

Also listen to what the other people have to say about it. I think they might be able to help you a little more.

13mur 6
07-17-2003, 11:09 PM
When you say "killed the mouse" I'm assuming you feed live right? First off you should stop doing that, and second, the mouse might be a bit too big for the snake, and realizing that, the snake might decide not to eat it.

Another thing might be that the snake lost too much energy from killing his mouse, and didn't have enough strength left to follow through with the swallow.

Next time try a pinkie, see if he'll eat that.

-Lemur 6

eddie
07-18-2003, 12:51 AM
he eats live only and hes almost 2 years old and hes a fat boy.. he eats adult mice and they dont even leave a bump in him... sorry for not giving more info....as soon as i drop the mouse in he attacks kills and normally swallows... this time he killed the mouse and just went back into its hide box...... so im just thinking that it is just the breeding season.... i will keep u updated for next wensday he eats again! thanks for ur guys help

13mur 6
07-18-2003, 09:42 AM
How often do you feed him? Maybe you're overfeeding and he's not hungry. A live mouse IS a threat, so he may have killed the mouse to remove the threat and left him there to eat later.

-Lemur 6

Rachel
07-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Has he been hurt by a mouse recently? Maybe one tried to defend itself and your snake got a scare?? Just a thought...

eddie
07-18-2003, 10:58 AM
no he hasnt, he was eating normal up untill then.

moreptiles
07-18-2003, 12:56 PM
I have a female that will sometimes bite and constrict a mouse, and then not eat it. This has happened when she is about to shed, or when she is gravid. I think some snakes have the kill instinct even if they don't want to eat. So, I would consider killing the mouse and then not eating it just the same as a snake that is refusing to eat. So I would attribute it to the breeding season.

If he goes more than 3-4 weeks without eating, then I might start to worry.

Mark