PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!

HELP!!!

Kejen
07-28-2008, 03:15 PM
my snake is digging into thwe aspen and moss and staying there for a while is this normal?

Caryl
07-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Relax, burrowing and hiding in substrate is perfectly normal behavior. Some do it occasionally, some never do it, and some spend most of their time buried. If your snake is new, or its circumstances have changed (new home, new location in the room, new addition to tank, new AC, whatever) it may want to spend more time burrowing around. Also, if it's recently eaten or is getting ready to shed it's more likely to look for a secluded spot. Hope that's helpful.

Kejen
07-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Thank you so much its funny that you say that cause i just feed him about an hour ago!

Kejen
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
ALS SHOULD I BE TURNING OFF MY LIGHTS AT NIGHT?>

bitsy
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Are you using the lights for heat? Corns don't need lights any time, so if you have a heat mat, then you can leave them switched off and save some of the electricity bill.

If the lights are the heat source, then you have to see what temp the tank maintains without. The warm end should always be in the mid-to-high 80s. That usually means the heat source has to stay on all the time in more northerly places like yours.

Kejen
07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
heat i do have a heat mat but it dopsent heat that much it preety much just warms the aspen on the warm side

bitsy
07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
What are the temps? If the mat feels warm to you, then it'll be plenty warm enough for the snake. With the lights, you could be overheating the tank badly, which would be one reason for the snake to burrow.

What are the temperatures at ground level (where the snake is, at the cool end and the warm end?

I'd advise switching the lights off immediately and leaving them off.

I assume you don't have the heat mat attached to a thermostat?

Kejen
07-28-2008, 05:31 PM
warm end :29 Degrees Celcius
cool end:25 Degrees Celcius

Kejen
07-28-2008, 05:31 PM
and i dont have a thermostat

Kejen
07-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Are my Temps bad?

bitsy
07-28-2008, 06:26 PM
Those temps would be OK, but with an unregulated heat mat and two lights, I'd say your thermometer must be way off.

A heat mat without a thermostat will get over 35 degrees very fast. Add lights to that and you could cook your guy.

What sort of thermometer are you using to measure the temps?

Kejen
07-28-2008, 06:29 PM
i bought a starter habitat rom petsmart and it came with 2 thermomiters

Caryl
07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure what kind of thermometers came with your setups. If you have the stick-on kind, you shoud know that they're notoriously unreliable. You'll probably want get a probe-type or other more reliablel thermometer. You commented on the mat only heating one side of your viv; that's perfect! Ideally, your snake should have a temperature range so s/he can choose what is best. Check out the FAQs on the husbandry thread, and browse old threads, too. I 've found that a lot of my questions have been answered without my even having to post them. I also recommend (as do most folks here) that you get a copy of Kathy Love's "Comprehensive Guide to Corn Snakes." It's available on her website, www.cornutopia.com, as well as in other places.