PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated...Why oh why can't hatchlings follow the rules in the book?

Frustrated...Why oh why can't hatchlings follow the rules in the book?

starsevol
08-03-2008, 03:16 PM
So my babies are a week old now. There are 5 males and 3 females. All 5 males just had their first shed (yesterday and this morning) but so far none of the females have shed yet.
So I offered all 5 that had shed a half a pinky. I figured that the pinkies I had were a little big, and halving them might give them a yummy smell. I offered them the pinky parts in small containers, and left them alone for a few hours. Well, not a single one ate! I guess they didn't know that they were supposed to be hungry after their first shed, at least that's what all the books say!
Looks like I'm going to wait 4 days and try again.

ARGH!!

Nanci
08-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Grrrrr .

TripleMoonsExotic
08-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Hah hah. If you went into breeding expecting that the hatchlings are going to follow the book, you are sadly mistaken. ;)

Roy Munson
08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Good luck, Beth. Last year I had great luck getting hatchlings to eat. This year? :mad: I've had great luck in the past with anole-scenting on the stubborn ones, so I tried it for about 20 hatchlings at their last feeding. ONE *&^%#% hatchling out of the 20 took the bait, and that was a kinked blizzard (I don't even know why I'm keeping him alive). I guess the next step is to do a "corns for pinkies" swap at the pet store, and bring home some live ones. :headbang:

starsevol
08-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, it is still early. I haven't tried any tricks, and my favorite of the bunch absorbed alot of yolk from his egg....so there is still hope. At least it's ALL of them being pains, and not just all except my favorite!

I'm so sorry about your bad luck this season Dean.
Still,don't cough near me til my kids start eating. I don't wanna catch your luck!

ghosthousecorns
08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
hmm I have five non eater left out of two clutches... bad news is a couple took one pinky, are due for another and don't want to eat again. Four are eating but only if tease fed. Four are eating but have to be left overnight with the pinky and take forever.
I want to try live but my mouse colonies are not cooperating. One of my colonies had the male die, I am waiting for the replacement male to grow big enough to take over his duties. The other mouse colony just seems barren.
I have a very nasty lizard torso in my freezer left from last year for scenting, but I want to try live first before that.
Isn't hatchling season fun??

starsevol
08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Why do we put ourselves through this??

And every year I seem to forget about all the GOOD outcomes...all the hatchlings that didn't eat immediately and then went on to do just fine...

HanneysCorn
08-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I've been trying the same method I used last year and again am finding it more successful than in previous years.

I don't feed directly after first shed. The first 3 years I had hatchlings I too thought...boy, after a week of shed they'll be ravenous. Did I waste a lot of pinkies! My frustration level was at its maximum when I kept putting more on the 'problem shelf' than were going on the 'established shelf'.

Not wanting to drive myself crazy last year with all the expected hatchlings I changed my routine slightly. Instead of offering 'first feeds' right after shed, I made them wait 2 days post shed for their first offering. Why...cause in previous years I found that many of them were still too full of yolk. Now I want to see them active in their hatchling containers, tipping the water dishes, cruising around showing some signs of 'seeking something'. After their initial offering, if they eat, they wait for 5 days instead of the 4 days in past years. If they don't eat on first attempt, they too have to wait the 5 days. I'm finding second offerings are going down with much more relish and aggressive feeding responses from those who didn't take the first offering.

Sure I still have the occassional abstainer. If nothing has been eaten by 3 weeks post shed, I tease feed if even live has been refused.

I'm not nearly as frustrated as before. I haven't had to scent or wash, brain or cut any pinkies so far this year. I still have 3 non feeders who are holding out...actively searching even tho there is a pink right in front of their noses. Guess they are waiting for that sequel to 'Feeding Stubborn Hatchlings'...who knows! They gladly stop that pink from being in their face by latching on, but hey, eat it...no way...the minute the opportunity arises that pink is dropped like a hot potato.

I've given up trying to figure out the eating habits of hatchlings...it would drive me crazy if I let it.

Ruth

starsevol
08-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Thank you so much for that! It helped me a great deal. One of the babies is either a plasma or a hypo plasma. He's the first lavender anything I've ever hatched, so he's a bit important to me. I have worried myself sick, afraid he won't eat. But his belly was actually swollen from yolk, he had so much! I feel so much better now!

jmksnakes
08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
These are all of the wonderful reasons why a corn "rule" book hasn't been written, right? If I had a copy of a book like that I'd just end up using the pages for bedding:grin01: But in a weird way, hatchling difficulties is just another way to keep us interested and motivated in our hobby I suppose.

Em Wright
08-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Strangely... reading all of this just makes me anxious for when I can start breeding, but that won't be for a while. Which is good I suppose... plenty of time to learn and be prepared for when the little snots arrive! :cool:

Good luck with your hatchlings everyone.

kathylove
08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Because of the general craziness of hatching season, I seldom get to offer first meals right after shedding. Sometimes it is many days past the first shed. And in most clutches, I seem to get pretty good results on the first feeding, especially if I happen to have live pinks to offer. But I have noticed that if, for some reason, I am able to offer first meals RIGHT after the first shed, I get much worse results. So I have also learned to not bother to be TOO prompt with feeding neonates.

Lucky me - this year I seem to be having a good year for feeding babies. Even my normally reluctant "special ghosts" have been starting well. I think it is due to my new and improved baby room. Since I cut down the number of breeders (and hence, babies), I was able to move them to a new, somewhat smaller, room, complete with windows (the old room was totally artificial light), some fresh air, and just enough a/c "leaking" from the house to keep them comfortable, even with the heat tapes on low. It is the best set up I have ever had for babies (and for me to be comfortable while working, too!), and so far, seems to be paying off.

I have a couple of dozen non-or-sporadic feeders, which isn't bad. I know some are against trying to save them. But I still have this hope to find a really good manufactured snake food, and am playing around with a special ferret food that is made to provide the same nutrient level as a young adult mouse. I would love to see if it is good enough to keep snakes healthy if used as their only diet for many months, or even into adulthood.

Sorry - got a little off topic. It is just something of interest to me and I got side tracked.

Susielea
08-05-2008, 07:10 PM
I've found that if I leave babies for 3 or 4 days post first shed, then offer a defrost pink that has been briefly dunked in very hot/not quite boiling water, I have very few, if any refusers. Last year and this year I've had one hold out until the second feed. Maybe I've just been lucky, but it works for me so I stick with it :)

crackerhead
08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
You know Beth, if you had just sold the Bloodred Lav to ME in the first place your life would be sooo much easier. Think of all the stress you would not be experiencing right now. But nooooo....:grin01:
I must agree with the wait rule. Although I hold the record in my area for anole skinning, I have not had to use my skill in recent years; I'm actually getting rusty. Laziness on my part, along with large numbers of hatchling allowed me to "discover" the wait a little longer after shed to feed approach. Just so I don't get nasty Pms from people I'll admit to the fact that, I too have a particularly difficult clutch that I'm presently sweating over getting them to eat. I'm going to try the extra hot water dip tonight and I'll let you know how it goes.
Terri
Save yourself the heartache. Send the Lav to Terri. It's your only hope...

Ruderacer
08-05-2008, 08:02 PM
All this info is sure going to help. Our 3 good eggs won't be hatching for another 4-5 weeks. Hopefully everything goes well, if not I've got CS.com to help.:bowdown:

starsevol
08-05-2008, 08:21 PM
You know Beth, if you had just sold the Bloodred Lav to ME in the first place your life would be sooo much easier. Think of all the stress you would not be experiencing right now. But nooooo....:grin01:
I must agree with the wait rule. Although I hold the record in my area for anole skinning, I have not had to use my skill in recent years; I'm actually getting rusty. Laziness on my part, along with large numbers of hatchling allowed me to "discover" the wait a little longer after shed to feed approach. Just so I don't get nasty Pms from people I'll admit to the fact that, I too have a particularly difficult clutch that I'm presently sweating over getting them to eat. I'm going to try the extra hot water dip tonight and I'll let you know how it goes.
Terri
Save yourself the heartache. Send the Lav to Terri. It's your only hope...

LOl Terri, I was wondering what took you so long :D

crackerhead
08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I tried Susielea's "Hot Dip" method last night and 15 out of 18 ate. WooHoo! The three that didn't eat were the last three to shed, so maybe that had something to do with it. Thanks for the tip! Question: Do you use this method even on pinkie parts? I ask because I have a clutch of very small guys that I don't think will be able to eat a full pink.
So Beth, have you come to your senses and given up on that "troublesome feeder"? Because I could help you out by taking it off your hands.:grin01:
Terri

Susielea
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I tried Susielea's "Hot Dip" method last night and 15 out of 18 ate. WooHoo! The three that didn't eat were the last three to shed, so maybe that had something to do with it. Thanks for the tip! Question: Do you use this method even on pinkie parts? I ask because I have a clutch of very small guys that I don't think will be able to eat a full pink.
So Beth, have you come to your senses and given up on that "troublesome feeder"? Because I could help you out by taking it off your hands.:grin01:
Terri

Whoohoo! So glad it worked for you too :D

Yes I have used this on pink heads, but I only dunked the front of the head, not the cut area at the neck/shoulders and it did work for that little one last year :)

For the second feed I dunk again, but just briefly and the third they will usually take it just nicely warmed.

Beth, try the hot water dip method on the next feed, it will probably save you the cost of shipping the little guy to Terri :grin01: Sorry Terri ;)

starsevol
08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
The "hot dip" method as well as not feeding them directly after a shed sounds like a Godsend. I last tried feeding the boogers Sunday afternoon, so I was thinking of waiting til Friday.
I hope they ALL eat, but especially the fire female and the plasma-thingy male! :)
Altogether there are 2.1 normals, 1.0 amel, 1.0 hypo diffused, 0.1 diffused, 0.1 fire and 1.0 plasma. I don't think anyone will be interested in the amel or the normals but I have a wholesaler that wants them. And the plasma and fire will probably end up keepers....but there is another clutch with similar hets due to hatch in about 2 weeks, and so far at least 15 of those eggs still look good. I'm excited!

crackerhead
08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
[Beth, try the hot water dip method on the next feed, it will probably save you the cost of shipping the little guy to Terri :grin01: Sorry Terri ;)

So , are you trying to get even for my posting a birthday greeting before you or is it the "not drinking tea at your house" thing? You know Beth is already my former bestest friend ever, you better just watch it, that list could grow!:grin01:
Really Beth, the "hot dip" thing is not going to work for you. Just give up now and send him to me. I'll pay the shipping... Susielea:nyah:
Terri

starsevol
08-06-2008, 03:44 PM
So , are you trying to get even for my posting a birthday greeting before you or is it the "not drinking tea at your house" thing? You know Beth is already my former bestest friend ever, you better just watch it, that list could grow!:grin01:
Really Beth, the "hot dip" thing is not going to work for you. Just give up now and send him to me. I'll pay the shipping... Susielea:nyah:
Terri

LOL!! :rofl:
Really, he's not all that special. Just Murphy trying to make up for using me as a chewtoy the past coupla seasons...

Susielea
08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Terri

I luffs ya really Terri ;) Although I could take the signs off the kitchen cupboards if you came to tea and get you to fetch the cups :nyah: :roflmao:

Good luck Beth! :D

starsevol
08-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, I tried the "hot dip" method on 4 of them....no interest whatsoever! All they want to do is get out of the feeding containers....
Guess I wait 4 or 5 more days and try again....

Nanci
08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
If all they want to do is get out, have you tried covering the feeding containers? That works on my impatient guys.

Susielea
08-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear it didn't work for you Beth :(

When you say they just want to escape their feeding containers, do you mean you put them into different tubs to feed, instead of leaving them in their regular housing?

I leave my new hatchlings in their hatchling tubs for feeding, instead of moving them, I believe it's less stressful while getting them established. So if you are moving them, maybe feeding them in their hatchling tubs might work for you, just a thought :)

Good luck and best wishes,

crackerhead
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Beth, at least one of them is trying to get to my house.:grin01:
Terri

starsevol
08-08-2008, 03:41 AM
Thank you Nanci, I think I will try Sue's suggestion first about leaving them in their containers, that way if they eat I can see it. If not then off they go into another container for feeding all covered up!
They are only 2 weeks old, so there is alot of time yet before I get to panic. But those lil' BOOGERS!!!!!!

And Terri, if things don't change in a month-6 weeks.....

Nanci
08-08-2008, 03:48 AM
My "babies" that are good feeders still occasionally try to act like they can't stop tail-rattling or striking at me or frantically trying to escape long enough to eat. Cover 'em up, leave 'em for an hour, always works. It's the bloodred and/or lavender gene that makes them little troublemakers. Wait, that's all but two of my snakes!

Just out of curiosity, what set-up do you have the hatchlings in?

starsevol
08-08-2008, 03:55 AM
My "babies" that are good feeders still occasionally try to act like they can't stop tail-rattling or striking at me or frantically trying to escape long enough to eat. Cover 'em up, leave 'em for an hour, always works. It's the bloodred and/or lavender gene that makes them little troublemakers. Wait, that's all but two of my snakes!

Just out of curiosity, what set-up do you have the hatchlings in?

I WISH these guys were hatelings, and struck at me! They are just so stinkin' mellow....but are alert and look very healthy.
I have them in the same type of set up I use every year for hatchlings, a small plastic sterlite "take along" for food with air holes melted in, a weighted small waterbowl and a folded paper towel.

howie77
08-10-2008, 08:46 AM
after 3 weeks i got my female bloodredto eat. The male still wont eat.

Brich
08-22-2008, 11:24 AM
We are right in the middle of this as well with our Aug 3-5 hatchlings. We have them in washed-lettuce boxes with about 10 1/8" holes, held closed with binder clips. We fixed plastic bottle caps to the floor with double-stick tape and then put in a square of paper towel and a half TP roll. They are on a bookshelf heated at the back to about 82-84 degrees.

11 of 18 have eaten F/T pinkies on their own or with a little tease. Several of the ones who have not eaten are constantly trying to get out and it seems like they just can't slow down enough to find the pinkies. After reading this I will try covering them, hotter dips, squeezing some brains out, and if I can find some, live pinkies.

Several people refer to cutting the pinkies in half. Is that head-to-tail or head from torso?

LindsayMarie
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
So my babies are a week old now. There are 5 males and 3 females. All 5 males just had their first shed (yesterday and this morning) but so far none of the females have shed yet.
So I offered all 5 that had shed a half a pinky. I figured that the pinkies I had were a little big, and halving them might give them a yummy smell. I offered them the pinky parts in small containers, and left them alone for a few hours. Well, not a single one ate! I guess they didn't know that they were supposed to be hungry after their first shed, at least that's what all the books say!
Looks like I'm going to wait 4 days and try again.

ARGH!!

Hi Beth,
I wanted to let you know, you arent alone (although many posts prior tell you this)! Next is, after having horrible luck with my first clutch ever, who I too was eager to feed after their shed, only a little less then half ate first try (6 or 7 out of 16)! Of course this was the MAIN breeding pair, my weird Hypo Lav back to his Mom or Aunt.....arghghgh!! Anyways, I continued to try all the tricks, until these guys were like 3 -4 weeks and thats when I made the calls below (which was a little late I think). I talked on the phone with a couple very knowledgeable breeders and both told me to wait at least 4-5 days post shed before offering meals, wait till they are nice and hungry. Also, what time of the day are you feeding them? I seem to have much better luck with just after dusk. By then I had stressed them all so much by trying so hard only a couple more started eating, then originally fed in the first place (one with a live, but dying runt pink and the other by simply using tmf vs bc pinks). This year my babies seemed to eat, the 1st time or the 2nd, almost all the 1st time, except the non eaters and no matter what I tried, nothing worked (except noted above), NOT even live (which caused horrible stress on me, as I am very sensitive and would rather see no animal/reptile suffer. But they do when they arent eaten!!!) I wasted more then 30 dollars in live pinks and at least 5-6 X's that to try and set up a mouse colony which was a COMPLETE disaster! With each following clutch the eating ratio was MUCH better then half! You know what I found to be most useful with first time refusers, wait 5-7 days and then offer tmf? If they refused the normal Big Cheese food, I offered The Mouse Factory pink and down the hatch. Then some of the feeders, established feeders started holding out just to get a TMF they smelled in the other cages, so I had to move them down a few shelves.....lol

The hardest part besides watching my baby snakes starve themselves to death, practically was having to put them down. I felt like a mass murderer as there were 7 to put down in just the 1st clutch of 16. These too contained valuable morphs to my project :( It got better with clutches 2, 3, 4, and soon I will let you know how 5 goes. But clutch 4 is the second clutch, to clutch 1 and 7 out of the 9 ate right off the bat, the second try 4? days later, another ate (tmf) and there is only 1 hold out!? But they are slightly different morphs as well? Wonder how much that plays a role? I still have refusers from clutch 2 and 3, but nothing like clutch 1 (which how they survive so long is beyond me?). I have tried everything, I dont know what else to do. Pet stores around here already have wholesalers (PetSmart and PetCo's). The mom/pop stores dont do reptiles much and ones that do, breed their own. I CANT FIND A WHOLESALER AND SAVE MYSELF AND THEM ALOT OF GRIEF!

This year? :mad: I've had great luck in the past with anole-scenting on the stubborn ones, so I tried it for about 20 hatchlings at their last feeding. ONE *&^%#% hatchling out of the 20 took the bait, and that was a kinked blizzard (I don't even know why I'm keeping him alive). I guess the next step is to do a "corns for pinkies" swap at the pet store, and bring home some live ones. :headbang:

I definitely feel your frustration with the whole anole scenting thing, as my number wasnt anywhere near 20 (but I dont have anywhere near as much hatchlings as you), mine refused them too. Not a one at them! As for the kinked Blizzard eating, I have 2 kinked (one very mildly, a phantom of some kind, I think and a Pink Hypo Lav w/ seems to be het blood with a slightly more noticeable kink). Both ate right away, both are fiesty as &^%$ and very mobile. I dont see why they cant make good pets. But thats a whole different discussion!

Sure I still have the occassional abstainer. If nothing has been eaten by 3 weeks post shed, I tease feed if even live has been refused.

I'm not nearly as frustrated as before. I haven't had to scent or wash, brain or cut any pinkies so far this year. I still have 3 non feeders who are holding out...actively searching even tho there is a pink right in front of their noses. Guess they are waiting for that sequel to 'Feeding Stubborn Hatchlings'...who knows! They gladly stop that pink from being in their face by latching on, but hey, eat it...no way...the minute the opportunity arises that pink is dropped like a hot potato.

I've given up trying to figure out the eating habits of hatchlings...it would drive me crazy if I let it.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,
I was wondering how exactly do you tease feed and do you use a live or ft mouse to do it? I have tried the tease feeding thing and all it ever did was scare the hatchlings! Maybe I am doing it wrong, or maybe you hold the secret to the right way??? ;)
I also have a latcher and then he drops/spits it out once the head is in? I was starting to think he has a kink in his neck, nope. Either he doesnt like the taste vs the smell, or he is lazy and doesnt want to eat the arms and legs. Last feeding I tried a bc sausage (cut ft pinks arms and legs off), no interest. 4 days or so prior he was all over his food, spit it out more then 3 times while I was in the room!???? Yes I have tried just a head too, that really freaked him/her out!!!!!!! :realhot:

Lucky me - this year I seem to be having a good year for feeding babies. Even my normally reluctant "special ghosts" have been starting well. I think it is due to my new and improved baby room. Since I cut down the number of breeders (and hence, babies), I was able to move them to a new, somewhat smaller, room, complete with windows (the old room was totally artificial light), some fresh air, and just enough a/c "leaking" from the house to keep them comfortable, even with the heat tapes on low. It is the best set up I have ever had for babies (and for me to be comfortable while working, too!), and so far, seems to be paying off.

Hi Kathy,
I found that most of those that died in my 1st clutch of the mystery project were some sort of hypo charcoal lav mix or something. I called them weird ghosts...lol They may not of even been ghosts or in this case phantoms I think hypo charcoals are called? I dont know with the genes that are in this mix. But I am having bad luck with any of those and they all look the same with minor variation. Ohhh... and OFF topic, I SWEAR I have BR or Diffused WITH checkers??? Is this possible? I dont get it! Sorry, I dont mean to hijack your thread!

I've found that if I leave babies for 3 or 4 days post first shed, then offer a defrost pink that has been briefly dunked in very hot/not quite boiling water, I have very few, if any refusers. Last year and this year I've had one hold out until the second feed. Maybe I've just been lucky, but it works for me so I stick with it :)

Hi Susielea,
I too think I will try this with the refusers. I kind of just put all the pinks in a large bowl with hot water and start going down the list. Warming it up 3-4 times, but even then, some are getting warmer then others! hmmmmm, something to think about!!

OK, I know this is extremely long, but I hoped I helped, even if just a little! Maybe try washing with soap, it worked with Snoop and gourmet rodent f/t pinks worked for Sassy! Worth a try! Goodluck I will be routing for you! Also I heard a long drive, shipping or bumpy roads can trigger them to eat that night, maybe you should send me your non eaters and I will send you mine??? Sounds about even?! :noevil: Take care, Lindsay

LindsayMarie
08-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Wow that is a long thread, feel free to edit and or delete some! :o Lindsay

starsevol
08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Hey Lindsay,
Yeah, that helped, long though it was! There is ALOT I have not tried yet, and all my hatchlings still look pretty good. I haven't had to euth anyone at this point. The second clutch just shed, so I tried feeding f/t to 8 of them. 4 took it no problem...gggrrrrrr!! I am having trouble getting live pinks, the only petshop that isn't a drive closes before I get out of work, and after working a 10 hour day, there is no way to convince the old man to take a drive!
I also have 3 of Dean's non feeders. With the help of my non-snake-guy husband, we have been syringing chicken egg yolk down their throats. One member here has a friend who successfully got 4 non feeders to accept f/t pinks after their second shed by doing this. She said it kept them alive and actually got them to grow, and by their second shed they were ravenous for pinks. When she gets back from Daytona I want to ask her more about that, and make sure I'm doing it right. But so far so good, all 3 non feeder girls are still chugging along!
Some years, all but 1 or 2 of mine eat. But it seems this was a bad year for alot of people here.

LindsayMarie
08-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey Lindsay,
Yeah, that helped, long though it was! There is ALOT I have not tried yet, and all my hatchlings still look pretty good. I haven't had to euth anyone at this point. The second clutch just shed, so I tried feeding f/t to 8 of them. 4 took it no problem...gggrrrrrr!! I am having trouble getting live pinks, the only petshop that isn't a drive closes before I get out of work, and after working a 10 hour day, there is no way to convince the old man to take a drive!
I also have 3 of Dean's non feeders. With the help of my non-snake-guy husband, we have been syringing chicken egg yolk down their throats. One member here has a friend who successfully got 4 non feeders to accept f/t pinks after their second shed by doing this. She said it kept them alive and actually got them to grow, and by their second shed they were ravenous for pinks. When she gets back from Daytona I want to ask her more about that, and make sure I'm doing it right. But so far so good, all 3 non feeder girls are still chugging along!
Some years, all but 1 or 2 of mine eat. But it seems this was a bad year for alot of people here.

I too have trouble getting SMALL enough live pinks. I finally found a source about 40 minutes away who gets a shipment in weekly (I wish I knew the source). Anyways, they never seem to get in 1-2 day old mice, or the Swiss Mice used mostly for feeding give birth to larger pinks then the american fancies? Like I said, my try at setting up a small group of american fancies was a DISASTER. I need a reliable, trustable source for either a small breeding group, or better would be SMALL enough pinks w/i driving distance. Thats if I continue all this. After reading that most wholesale out their non feeders and/or give them away free to people or send them to friends to try and help (like Dean and you), I feel HORRIBLE holding onto mine and still holding, but I must admit, I just dont know where to go with them? Girls were mostly the non feeders.....how aggravating is that, on top of unique looking morphs!!!! I guess your bound to make mistakes your first year, but have I made a HUGE one, Beth? Anyone? I feel like a murderer for sure and #2's clutch is running out of time, 3 not far behind that. To be honest, I doubt a single one will spontaneously eat for me here! This is a rewarding yet hard and sometimes non rewarding hobby! Its not all happy times and smiling faces! I have done my fair share of :cry: this year, which is why I wrote that winded "Please Read......HELP" thread.

I wish you all the luck in the world on the babies and let me know about that syringe feeding and how that goes? (maybe you can send me a how to in pm?) If I breed next year I want to start preparing this year with scenting options, smaller live mouse options, force feeding options just incase (which I didnt feel secure enough to do this year)! Take care, lindsay

starsevol
08-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Yikes, Lindsay, you are certainly no murderer!!!!!!!! Sometimes euth is a sad option but the best thing. Not all are going to make it. You have made NO mistakes as far as I can see, and knew alot more going into this than I did (even though this site did not exist back in 1998, I don't think).
The reason Dean sent me the ones he did, was because I had originally wanted either a granite het stripe and hypo, or a bloodred het anery, stripe and hypo for a striped blood project. And also as a possible future mate for Syko (remember HIM? LOL). The entire clutch refused to eat for him!!! And he's been at this a long time. The 3 he sent were a granite het hypo, stripe and a bloodred het anery hypo and stripe because he thought I could use them if I got them going. The third was a female lav blood that he thinks I have a good chance with. I didn't "need" her but I'm not about to turn THAT down!
I was going to pm you about the syringe feeding, but wanted to check with the person who told me about it first, to make sure I'm doing everything right, before I passed the information along. When I do it it doesnt seem like they get too much in them, just a mouthful. But its high calorie stuff, and so far they are still alert....and it's hard for one person to do it alone. You might need Amanda to help you with it. Yikes, I'm babbling....need coffee!
I'm actually a little bit terrified. I just reread my breeding plans for next season....Not that all those clutches will actually hatch, but its still scary even if half of them do!