PDA

View Full Version : Snakes throw up

Snakes throw up

jersme
05-20-2002, 04:29 PM
Hi

Since two weeks I´ve to take care of two guttata´s from a friend of mine. But the only thing they do is throwing up the mice. Does anybody has experience with this problem?

Greetings Jersme

Katie
05-20-2002, 05:53 PM
I know I've been told that corn snake will regurgitate (sp?) their food when they don't have proper temperatures for digestion. What are the temps in their enclosures? I think one side should be about 85 degrees and the other side should be 75 degrees. Snakes need the warmth to digest. Also, I've heard of them doing this when they've just eaten and then been handled alot (any truth to this guys?). Even if that's not true you should leave them alone for at least 48 hours after feeding them so they have time to digest. If they are stressed they may regurge also I would think. Check your temperatures first and formost, let us know what happens.

jersme
05-20-2002, 06:13 PM
The temperatures are ok, I think. Because my own corns eat ok. I´m worried that will be some kind of bacteria and that my own snakes get infected. Does anybody know if there is a bacteria or virus wich causes this throwing up?

gr Jersme

kenalotia
05-20-2002, 06:17 PM
How long did you wait after the first feeding? You should give them at least a week after a regurgitation before feeding them again. Although they may be interested in food sooner, their stomachs aren't ready to handle it yet. They need to build up more stomach acid and stuff before they will be ready to digest food again. If they weren't able to do this, they will regurgitate again. This sounds like it might be the problem in this case.

If you're concerned about the snakes carrying parasites or some disease, keep them far away from your own snake. Then recommend that your friend bring them to a veterinarian when s/he gets back.

Rachel
05-21-2002, 06:36 AM
it could be a parasite, cryptosporidium, in which case you should isolate these snakes from your own. Get them to a vet who will either confirm and treat this or diagnose them properly!

Simon
05-21-2002, 12:05 PM
It might also be the level of stress that they are in. Since you said that you just got them not too long ago, they might not have settled down yet and are still very stress out. Wait at least 7 days before feeding the corn snakes that regurgitated. Let them settle down for a few more days and don't handle them yet since handling could increase the stress that they might already have.
Make sure the temp is right and they have access to fresh water.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

JaketheTick
05-21-2002, 11:10 PM
Yep, I was going to say, Ive have a corn that regurgitates pretty quickly if he gets stressed. She's one of four that are all the same age and size, but for some reason, if i move her around to much within a few hours of feeding, up it comes. None of the others do that with the same treatment. I think some just tend to get a little more stressed. I've also heard that happens if they get backed up, like somethings stuck in there bowels. But im not sure about that,id figure they just wouldnt eat in that case.

Susan
05-26-2002, 10:27 PM
A question...How soon after feeding do you again see the mouse? To quote Dr. Mader..."Vomition is defined as a forceful ejection of food from the stomach and anterior intestine. Regurgitation involves the bringing up of undigested food immediately after eating to a few hours later and is generally an esophageal or pharyngeal problem." If your temps are fine and the snakes have not been stressed, yet they are vomiting their meal a day or more after feeding, they should definately be seen by a vet.