PDA

View Full Version : Cannibalism attempt...

Cannibalism attempt...

carol
07-20-2003, 09:25 PM
I could have lost this kiddo today. I was helping a hatchling shed (he was having troubles for a day or two now), when I heard a lot of noise coming from one of the bins. When I checked on it, one of the hatchlings was frantically "running" around the cage with another hatchling latched onto his back. I had to shake the little bugger for awhile before he would let go. The "cannibal corn" had not even shed yet. After shed, I separate keepers and usually leave the rest of the clutch together until sold. I have had problems in the past getting proper temps for those little deli cups. Now I will have to figure something out I guess.
http://www.southbaydogs.com/images/Miami.JPG

CornCrazy
07-20-2003, 09:45 PM
That's a beautiful baby! It would have been a shame to lose it!

Aradia
07-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Ooh, how beautiful! Is that a keeper or seller? If you wish to sell, get in touch with me. Good thing you were helping the other baby shed.

Simon
07-21-2003, 01:43 AM
that is one real nice looking miami!

You produce one of the best looking miamis ever!
The one that you sold me is doing great and looks even better!

Thanks agian!

Alicia
07-21-2003, 09:33 AM
Wow, you need to name that little one "Lucky" Lucky you were there to save him/her:D Very pretty baby.

carol
07-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I was thinking the same thing Alicia, either Lucky or Scrumptious!

Simon~ I'd love to see pics of her sometime! Glad to hear she is doing well!

Aradia~ I think this one is a keeper but he has 13 brothers and sisters that look a lot like him, and they all have a 50% chance of being het motley. Email me if you are interested.

Thanks everyone for your compliments! I am sure glad I was there too!

Iris
07-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Like everyone pretty much said so far, I'm really glad you were there to stop that attempt. he's gorgeous!

13mur 6
07-24-2003, 01:03 AM
So, what happened to the cannibal? I wonder what he'll turn into as he grows behaviorally, since from what I hear, cannibals usually die from their meals.

-Lemur 6

carol
07-24-2003, 02:01 AM
Well it happens to be a she, and it also happens to be one of only two shes in my entire clutch of 14! So the cannibal is a keeper, I guess I will be able to see if she shows any differences behaviorally. I think the gal was just hungry! Either that or that boy she took a bite out of was just too cute! Eww, it's her brother. :D

Aurora13
04-18-2004, 02:34 PM
outstanding snake! please keep us updated in him!:p

redneckprincess
04-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Beautiful Baby!!!!!!
My Yellow Rat started to open on my Ghost Corn the other day. I thought"What the ....!" My Yellow hasn't ate since the day I got her and she decides to eat one of her tank mates. She still won't take a mouse!! Thankfully I was watching and saved my Ghost. Bad snake, no candy for you!! :D

CornCrazy
04-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by redneckprincess
Beautiful Baby!!!!!!
My Yellow Rat started to open on my Ghost Corn the other day. I thought"What the ....!" My Yellow hasn't ate since the day I got her and she decides to eat one of her tank mates. She still won't take a mouse!! Thankfully I was watching and saved my Ghost. Bad snake, no candy for you!! :D

Why on earth do you have them housed together??? That could be the reason the yellow rat hasn't eaten (stress). I don't even think "like" species shold be housed together. Why would you keep different species together???

Taceas
04-26-2004, 11:25 PM
I agree with Terri on this one. *steps up on soapbox*

I think you should set up your snakes into their own containers and see how they improve on their feeding and general health and well-being. Snakes can be housed rather cheaply in Rubbermaid containers or you can spend more and get them their own aquariums.

Snakes stress very easily since they're a solitary animal being kept with other snakes. I wouldn't eat either if I had to contend with other people in my space.

And the cannibalism attempt is just one of the many, many things that can go wrong. You can't be there every minute of the day in case something goes wrong. And you may very well wake up in the morning with a very plump rat snake and no ghost corn.

Random feelings about the issue and in no way aimed directly at Ms. Redneck:

I hate preaching, I really do. I just wish that sometimes people would read about everything before they commit to multiple snakes.

It seems people come running to this forum when something goes drastically wrong with their snake(s), and come to find out they're being housed together and it's honestly no wonder they don't have more problems than they do. But it's like they want us to fix whatever is going on, but when we tell them the answer that's most likely the culprit we're immediately written off as some sort of corn snake extremists.

If people research everything about housing together and accept the risks and still want to put their snakes' lives in danger, then by all means it is a free country. But I'm just so sick of people wanting help when they won't correct the errant situation that we point out as the obvious culprit.

Sorry, just had to vent.

redneckprincess
04-27-2004, 10:00 AM
I'm really glad everyone thinks I'm inexperienced with snakes. I've been raising them ( corns and rats) for over 12 years.
I do not house my snakes in little plastic containers. they are a part of my family, and are treated as such. When the kids go out to play, so do the snakes!! They are raised in a community setting and do very well, with little or no conflicts. The one time I reply on a post about an incident, I get bashed and vented on. I WILL NOT be visiting this board again. Enjoy cross breeding your species and ruining the true CORN SNAKE!!!

Taceas
04-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Oh good lord, come on. I do believe I said that my rant was not directly aimed at you. Guess you fergot to read that little tidbit.

Inexperience and ignorance in this hobby is certainly marked by a willingness to keep snakes together in the same enclosure, whether it be same species or even different species. I, in no way, ever said you were inexperienced. I just personally don't agree with your views, and your evidence in your post just supports my position.

And who said we were "bashing" you? I've seen people get a lot more mean spirited over these sorts of posts. I think Terri and myself were being rather polite about the whole thing. All we did was either question your motives or provide information I felt that you lacked.

And I never said you HAD to house them in "little plastic containers". I can't be psychic about what people can afford or not, and that is the usual suggestion for people who inexplicably keep their snakes together. Personally, mine are housed in huge plastic containers (bigger than my current aquariums) until I can get the time and money together to build them all really nice enclosures.

They are raised in a community setting and do very well, with little or no conflicts.

Yet you say your yellow rat snake hasn't eaten since you got it, and just tried to eat your corn snake. Nope, doesn't sound like stress or conflict to me.

Enjoy cross breeding your species and ruining the true CORN SNAKE!!!

Yet again, you're the one housing different species that commonly cross breed together, I hope for your sake that you have all of the same sex in your enclosure.

And I don't cross breed my snakes for the record. I leave that to other people with that desire. Yes, I currently own a creamsicle, but I never intend to breed it to any of my "pure" corns.

Well I hope that you see our point of views and do come back. This forum is a great place and a wealth of information. Sure we may not all get along sometimes, but we're all still a family here.

On another note, if you want to thrive on misinformation and ignorance, continue visiting Kingsnake.com. At least here we don't make a habit out of "bashing" people, posting inane things, or provide errant information that can harm the lives of your snakes.

Now where did I put that wood cross..

redneckprincess
04-27-2004, 04:41 PM
What I'm saying is that my snakes are treated no different then my dogs. The Yellow is a new edition and acclimating well into the community. And yes, All my snakes are females. I'm not currently breeding them. My snakes are a bunch of spoiled brats...a.k.a.- Juvinile deliquents. Certain ones go on car rides, help wash dishes, play with the kids in the back yard and have their own spot on the bed for a nice nap.....they are PETS!!! I have even had Yellow rats that have had free run outside of their cage to come and go as they please.
I have enjoyed my pets as a part of my family for over 12 years and still have my first (and most spoiled) snake, a Yellow rat.

Sorry for venting at your vent!!!!!!!! Most snake owners do not spoil their snakes as I do, or treat them as a valued FAMILY MEMBER. So my experience is not ignorance. I have raised my pets differently then most and enjoy them alot more then many.

Taceas
04-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Thank you for at least being a little bit more..calmed down, shall I say? =P

I have 25 snakes currently, and in no way shape nor form could I ever house them together in an enclosure large enough to meet their every needs. Nor do I even want to, only Mother Nature can provide such an enclosure.

And you're right about the pet thing..I don't treat my snakes as pets like I do my dog, cats, goats, or bird. There isn't enough time in the day to play "fetch the pinky" with them all. ;)

I care for them all, each and every one. I check on them every other day or so to make sure they're doing alright and handle them when I get the time and they haven't fed. But that's all. I just feel they're enduring the handling rather than actually enjoying it like my other personable pets.

I just don't understand housing them together, that's all. I prefer my snakes be as stress free as possible and from my experience that's been housing them each separately.

Mine get pissy with each other when I've got two together for a photo shoot. And you should see the container of them when there's a tornado warning. Actually, you should see the closet under the stairs for that matter: 2 people, 1 dog, 3 cats, 1 bird, 1 ferret, 25 snakes..unfortunately the goats would have to fend for themselves.

Treating them as family pets is one thing, but housing them in conditions they more than likely don't like is another. It's been documented in more than one book and from many many people that housing them together invites trouble. Hrm, why do I feel like I'm preachin to the choir here?

Anyway, if you want to keep your corns together that's your perrogative. However, I would recommend keeping your rat snake separate, if at least to indulge a fellow Hoosier. Then try after a few days to see if it'll eat for you. If it does then you know it likes it's new spot better. =)

Btw, where the heck is Farmland?

redneckprincess
04-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Farmland is east of Muncie, close to Winchester.
I think maybe I should clear something up...they are seperated for feeding. No eating off each others plates ya know, that's bad manners! They also have several dens in their home but mostly stay together in the same den.(snake ball)
I know my experience may seem different then most, but rarely will you see me without one of my snakes when I'm not at work. I spend alot more time with them then most owners do and they are VERY pampered. My Yellow that I've had for about 15-16 years was a hatchling when I got her and is now over 8ft. She will only eat out of my hand and will not shed without assistance from Mom. She is very protective of me and will definitly let someone know when they have crossed the line. I couldn't have a better guard dog or companion.
I recommend people try building a relationship with a snake, they would be amazed at the companionship they have to offer.:D