PDA

View Full Version : health concern

health concern

mona_t
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
We purchased our corn snake from an individual who had used duct tape inside the viv to hold some cords in place. (I can't believe someone did this.)Anyway the snake became entangled in the duct tape. The owner was able to remove the tape which left a sticky residue on the snake. He assured us that this will not harm the snake & that it will all come off when he sheds. As you can see in the picture the tape residue is just behind the head. On the second day that we had him, he started shedding his skin behind the area where the tape was, but not at his head or the area where the tape was. I have read that an incomplete shed is not good. This doesn't seem to be a complete shedding. Could he be shedding because of the tape damage? Should I be concerned? We were told that he was fed approximately 3 days before we got him so we have not tried to feed him yet. I understand that we should not feed during a shed so we will wait until the shedding is done. He seems to be healthy. Very active. We actually saw him drinking water on the second day. I was very excited as I have never seen a snake drink before. I would appreciate any advice on this tape situation. Thanks in advance.
Ramona

Devilscat
08-11-2008, 06:00 PM
That looks like a bad shed. Duct tape residue--There is a post by Kathy Love where she uses vegetable oil to remove tape. I am sure someone else might be able to help you. For a bad shed you can give your snake a bath and let it swim in a small tub of water, then hold it and let it goes through a wet towel to get shed off. Good Luck with your snake.

wade
08-11-2008, 06:16 PM
First off, don't worry, corn snakes are tough.

A lot of people misunderstand the shed - feed thing. It is ok to feed your snake during a shed, just understand that some snakes don't like to eat at that time so don't be alarmed if he doesn't.

The vegetable oil is a good solution for the tape problem and you may want to do that at a later time. At this point I would concentrate on getting a good shed, that will probably solve the whole problem.

Keep your snake warm. Make sure he has an area of the cage that is 85* F. Make sure his water bowl is big enough that he can get in it and soak if he wants to. I saw your hide in the picture, put some moist moss under there so it will be humid. (I can't spell sphagnum) Don't handle him too much during the shed period.

I think the gummy area will come off with the shed. I wouldn't put the snake through the trauma of trying to clean it off until we know for sure there is a problem.

mona_t
08-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am so thankful to everyone who is willing to give us advice. We are already very attached to our corn snake & want to give him the best care. His name is Slither.

susang
08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Oh! poor baby I thought it was bad shed in the other pic.

Tracee
08-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Definitely agree with wade in trying to bathe and get a 'good shed' first, then only if the problem hasn't been solved, get the oil out.

There are threads on this so please feel free to search how best to do it. I've had to do this 3 or 4 times and it is really easy and not at all traumatic for the snake. I let him soak in a plastic 'shoebox' of quite shallow not-quite-lukewarm water, and after 15-20 minutes let him run through my hands to see if the skin is coming off easily. If it isn't, soak a little longer and repeat.

Some people prefer to use paper towels or fabric towels, I prefer my hands because then I can feel exactly where the skin is, as it can go see-through after soaking. However you do it, the important thing is to make sure the eye caps and tail tip have come off.

Let us know how you get on - best of luck :)

mona_t
08-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Took the advice and gave Slither a bath. After a good soak, my son put on a pair of wet cotton gloves and let him slither through his hands. In no time, all the skin was off, including the sticky tape residue! No need to use oil this time. He looks wonderful. I would never have thought of giving a snake a bath. He didn't seem stressed at all during the whole process. I am so glad to have found this website.

wade
08-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Show us a picture of your shinny new snake!!

Glad all is well

Rich in KY
08-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Congrats on the shed! :dancer:

As wade said, would love to see pics of Slither in his new skin!

Devilscat
08-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Glad to hear that bath took care of problem with both tape residue and shed. I think we are all looking forward to new updated pictures of Slither.