• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hunger Strike???

DragonBoy

Crazy Cornsnake Breeder
I have a female striped corn who seems to be on a hunger strike.
I have tried live, dead, rats and mice and she wants nothing to do with food.
She drinks normally, is of excellent size for her age, so i am not overly worried but I have never had a corn snake refuse food like this...
Could it be the heat? My snake room on average right now is 80. there is no heat on to the racks because it is set at about 80-82 which is about room temperature.
She last ate a month ago, shed on schedule, and seems alert, active and he usual self. This feeding pattern is just blowing my mind.
Opinions anyone?

I have an adult female, Lila, who went on feeding strike in February. I offered her a mouse every two weeks, she refused. Finally, a month or so ago, I offered her a rat pink, which she ate. Next week, she refused a rat pink. Then I ran out of rat pinks, so I offered her a fuzzy and she refused. So then one baby feeding night, she was all nosey, so I offered her a tiny pink, and she took it like she was starving! I gave her three more, then a fuzzy. She ate them all. Next baby feeding night (five days later) I offered her a fuzzy, which she took, and a hopper which I had to super-tease feed her with to get her to take it. Next baby feeding night, she took a hopper.

Now, did she form eggs and reabsorb them? I have heard that can throw them off feeding. She wasn't bred. I felt her all the time, though, checking for eggs, and never felt any. She lost two grams, or something like that, up till the last week, when she lost 10 or 15 grams since the last time I weighed her. Seemed like her usual self the whole time.

So if you are _really_ worried, _maybe_ an unusually small prey item might get her off feeding strike. The (FT) rat pup trick also worked to get Bacon eating again after his normal male springtime strike.

A month is not long enough to be concerned. It could be any one of may factors. I would keep offering food ever 7 to 10 days. If everything else is ok with her she will eat eventually. Be patient

Back