PDA

View Full Version : hatchling wont eat

hatchling wont eat

howie77
08-17-2008, 09:17 AM
New hatchling wont eat. I've had it for a month now, I gave up on the frozen thawed pinky and tried feeding it a live pinky, still didn't work. The other hatchling I have did eat the live. I'm not quite sure what else I should do, I know they like anole's so I ended up buying one. I'm going to try scenting the pinky with the anole or try chicken broth, if worse comes to worse I guess I'll feed it the anole (but I want to avoid having to do that). Has anyone else have any difficulty feeding their hatchlings, and what techniques did you use?

zorro
08-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I would try "braining" before the anole, I have got half of the hatchings that will not eat to take a "brained" pinkie. I know it is a little gross for most but it really works. Take a pink and stick a razor blade into the skull and squeeze little of the juice out and spread it over the head. If you have had it a month and it has not eaten you don't have much time.
John

Blue Apple Herps
08-17-2008, 11:26 AM
How long have you had him? Has he eaten before? How are you feeding him? In his cage, deli cup?

I would try a live pinky and put him and the pinky overnight in a deli cup in a closet. Put him in there at night, and don't bother him until morning. Sometimes they just need some time by themselves. Try this and if it doesn't work, we can go from there.

Also search, there are TONS of threads about this...

Maize411
08-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I just recently bought a baby corn that was sold really cheap cause he was a non feeder and hadn't once ate for the guy after he hatched, I brought him home and 3 days later offered him half a really warmed pinkie, turned the lights out and left him in the feeder tub to do as he pleased, checked back 5 minutes later and he was gulping it down, second feeding it took him a little longer but he ate the second half of the pinkie..

I would suggest cutting a pinkie in half, warming it up real well and leaving the snake and half a pinkie in a really dark place, check on it every half hour to see how it's coming..best of luck to ya..

howie77
08-17-2008, 01:32 PM
zorro thank you very much he ate a brained pinky but i fed him in a brown paper bag this time instead of a deli cup

Rich in KY
08-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Congrats! :dancer: I am glad he ate for you

zorro
08-17-2008, 01:50 PM
zorro thank you very much he ate a brained pinky but i fed him in a brown paper bag this time instead of a deli cup

I'm glad it worked for you, I think it can be a paper bag or deli cup any place private.
John:cheers:

coolsnakesky
08-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Im not sure i would have a problem with feeding but I warmed the pinkies up real good ..split the skin off their heads and put them in with the hatchlings I did that for the first few feedings and they havent skipped a meal yet.
good luck in finding a method that works for you