PDA

View Full Version : Q re External Sutures & Bathing

Q re External Sutures & Bathing

petharbor
08-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Francesca, my 14yo corn snake, had rectal prolapse surgery last week. Went back to vet today for final antibiotic injection. Vet tech said she has urates on her & vet said she needs to soak in warm water. She has external sutures from the surgery. I called the vet's office later to see whether I should let her soak with the sutures in place. After putting me on hold, the receptionist came back with "They said baths are good for snakes anytime." I asked, "Even with stitches?" She repeated her statement. Yes, I tried talking to the vet, but I've been unable to do so since before the surgery. Does anybody know if she can get the sutures wet? I know they say not to let cats & dogs get wet after surgery. Thank you.

wade
08-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I have had lots of stitches for lots of reasons but mostly cause I tend to cut myself a lot. I have always been told to keep them dry due to risk of infection. That would be my recommendation for your snake as well.

Caryl
08-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Sounds like Wade and I share a tendency to have accidents. I've had way too many sutures myself, as well as staples post-surgery. The staples & surrounding area can get wet, but I've always been told to keep sutures dry. When I worked with a vet (not a herp vet), standard practice was to keep sutures dry.

So here's what I'd do. Since you obviously want to remove the urates and their potential for infection, but don't want to cause dermal or subdermal swelling or infection from getting the area too wet, I would gather some cotton balls or swabs (depending upon the size of the snake and the spacing of the sutures). I'd get some distilled water at room temperature. I'd get someone to hold the snake still, because even the most docile of creatures can be jumpy when they're sore. Then I'd take my time and clean the area gently, changing swabs or cotton balls when one became soiled. I'd rinse the area thoroughly and gently pat it dry. Finally, I'd apply some antibiotic ointment like neosporin. It won't affect the sutures and will serve as a mild barrier to infection from future urates.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

bitsy
08-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Caryl has posted exactly what I planned to write. That's what I'd do too.

As for the "baths are good for snakes any time" comment, I'd take that as well-meaning advice from someone who's asked advice from someone who doesn't know too much about snakes.

Corns certainly don't need baths, although they can be helpful if constipated or as controlled exercise to work off some flab. However, some actively hate being bathed and it stresses them dreadfully, which doesn't do them any good at all.