PDA

View Full Version : Pinks v Fuzzie sizes--a question of nutrition

Pinks v Fuzzie sizes--a question of nutrition

sarcare
08-20-2008, 11:02 AM
So when I purchased my new snakes, I also picked up some frozen feeders, since Rodentpro was there selling in bulk. I wanted to get some small prey items for the two new snakes and some larger for snakeypants who has been eating fuzzies.

Well, they sell x-small, small, and large pinks, and then on up. I saw the bag of fuzzies, and they were HUGE, no way snakeypants could eat those--each was probably 15g+. I had intended to buy a bag of pinks and one of fuzzies, but there were so many choices! I ended up with a bag of large pinkies--each wieghs around 7-10g, and probably more, and a bag of extra small pinks (which I haven't weighed yet since it isn't feeding time yet for the new snakes).

Any way, I have a couple of questions. The fuzzies I had been feeding snakeypants were between 6-8g, will he be getting less nutrition or a less healthy meal from a 7-10g pinkie then from an equivilant sized fuzzie?
Also, are these larger prey sizes typical from rodentpro?

And in a sort of related question, how much does a snake's weight vary over a week? I got my scale awhile ago and I probably weigh snakeypants too much, but I notice quite a variation in weight. Probably why it is best to only weigh once a week, but she went from 25g to 30g to 26g to 24g. Arg, I probably will try to limit myself to only weighing before feeding, from now on, but is that kind of variation normal?

Sorry for all the questions--I really tried to do searches--so if there are threads that I missed--please direct me there! :eatpointe

wade
08-20-2008, 11:59 AM
You already know the answers to these questions. They just need some thought.

As a mouse (or other mammal) matures, his body changes. Bones develop, hair grows, and internal organs grow and develop. Surely the nutritional value of a pinkie will be different than a fuzzy. Is it significantly different, better or worse? It probably really doesn’t matter. Feed large pinkies, then double up and feed two pinkies. Next time buy fuzzies.

It is really hard to look at a mouse and say weather or not your snake can eat it. It is really much better to go by weight. To go from a 6 gram large pinkie to a 10-gram fuzzie is a big step. Make sure your snake is ready.

Here is a fun experiment. I have a bathroom scale in (guess) my bathroom. Weigh your self before and after you poop. If you are feeding 6-gram pinkies, are you surprised that his weight might vary 6 grams before and after eating?