PDA

View Full Version : Just a beginner! Need help!

Just a beginner! Need help!

Trina-mae
08-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi! I have had my snake for almost 3 weeks. When I bought him his colors were bright orange and red and his eyes were as well. But now his color has dulled quite a bit and his eyes are pretty cloudy. I have read that this is part of shedding, but it has been going on for about a week now. He eats well, and is otherwise completely normal. I am just worried that something really could be wrong, what should i do? Does he maybe need help with his shedding?
Thanks!
Trina Mae

Khaman
08-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Sounds normal for shedding. His colors will dull up and his eyes will take on a blue cast then clear up and in a few days he will shed his skin. It happens more frequently to hatchlings because they grow so fast. He may be irritable and reclusive during this time as well because in the wild he would be more susceptible to predators.

bitsy
08-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Unless he starts to look wrinkly or has scraps of shed skin hanging off him, he's fine.

What you describe is all normal for a build-up to shedding. He's growing up!

wade
08-20-2008, 04:50 PM
It kind of sounds like Dullington’s Disease. Look on the snakes under side. Do the scales appear to be running from left to right instead of front to back? Does the snake spend most of it’s time with it’s belly on the ground and not elevated at all? Try cupping the snake in your hands then quickly lift the top hand away. Does the snake move to the left or the right?

Dullingtons’s Disease was first noticed in Great Britain. At first they thought it was related to the weather. This was later shown to be wrong. It has now spread pretty much around the world.

At this time it is believed to be related to snakes being purchased and then moved to a new home. It is most often reported by new snake owners because they seem to be more observant of small changes. The only remedy found to be effective at this time is for the new owner to take two aspirin and check on the snake in two weeks

Nanci
08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I feel like I'm in a time warp...

Susielea
08-20-2008, 07:05 PM
I feel like I'm in a time warp...

That's what I thought, but the first posts were posted an hour apart, after you'd already helped :shrugs: