PDA

View Full Version : risen scales

risen scales

Soke
08-22-2008, 02:55 PM
My Corn only 11 months old i have notices she has to scales poking out, and when she moves thoguh your hand sometimes she can feel a little rough.

Atm this is just getting redy to shed as her skin colour has dulled. is this normal.

Also at she has had newspaper in her vivi, cauld this causer this, normaly she has wood chipings.

Plez help

JoshnJJ
08-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't know what to say, but I had similar problem.
I think it's normal because it's due to shed...OR it could be a
mite/tick hiding under one of the scale. I am not sure,
I hope somebody here will help you out.

The Snake Guru
08-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Are there vertical lines in the sides?
Scales look actually folded?

Happens with "well fed" snakes due to having fat rolls (usually time for diet when you notice it like that)

Hard to say though without a pic?

~B~

Jadie.Glitch
08-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes, posting a pic would be very helpful ^_^.

tom e
08-22-2008, 07:20 PM
I've seen them pick up a little ink before from newspapers (or at least it seemed that way to me) so that could explain some dulling, could also be a shed as you say.

I had one arrive to me in the past that was shipped in a little tub with lots of paper towel. He did bend some scale points back on his first third of his body by pulling in to the paper towel to hide (probably often).. It wasn't a big deal and was fixed with a single shed.

I would be concerned at the chance it could be mites. 'Mite' want to check his water bowl to see if you have little black specks in there. Also check around his eyes and in the 'folds' under his chin for black specks sort of jammed into the scales. Hope it's not them, but it's not the end of the world either if it is.

Soke
08-22-2008, 07:26 PM
There must only be 10 or so scales on her body that are pokeing out her being only 10-11 months old its hard to get a picture of them as u can only see the scales pokeing out allmost stright from her body, they are allmost seethough so they only only visable in the light and to touch.

The Snake Guru
08-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Ahhhhhhhh I know what you speak of....

Have you tried raising the humidity? Sometimes with lower humidity the other layer of skin peels off almost like shed skin only a scale at a time....sometimes happens right before they go into shed too. Even adding a humidity hide can help too.

Another possible cause is if she's very active and like to rub on things this can cause it too.

~B~

Soke
08-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Humidity is at about 50-60%

The Snake Guru
08-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Well that shouldn't be a problem.

Is he or she a consistant rubber? Does it have anything with a rough surface in which it could rub excessively on?

~B~

Tracee
08-23-2008, 05:08 AM
I agree it would be very helpful to see a picture. How long have you been noticing this for? If this problem persists after the next shed, I might be tempted to seek advice from a vet. In the meantime we'll do our best to figure out what it could be.