PDA

View Full Version : hatchings not eating

hatchings not eating

danart
08-27-2008, 03:31 PM
I have some problem feeding the 15 hatching that just born.
all of them after first skin change....and 5-6 of them already ate dead pinkies but the rest just dont.. :( i put them in seperate small cages... and bought live pinkies...( i put the pinkies 4 hours ago but no one ate) a will leav them for the night mey be somone will eat...but if they dont?...
please help me by giving some idea what to do?...if i already tried the live pinkies..i should try to feed them with pincet?.....
and just tell me what to do before force feeding, and if this gone so far when and how force feed ????????
please i really need help
S.O.S

Nanci
08-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Superhot pink, braining, Ivory soap washing, lizard scent, tuna water scent, chicken broth scent, withhold water one day then very wet pink, strike feeding, hold snake in one hand and hold pink against snake's nose till he takes a bite, dirty mouse bedding scenting, slitting, paper bag treatment for any of the above, live in combination with any of the above except braining or slitting, although you can rub frozen brains on a live pink.

danart
08-28-2008, 03:14 AM
ok...after whole night with live pinkies only 1 out of 10 ate :blowhead::cry:
i really worry becouse in the past summer half of the hatching that born just died.... :( so can u please tell me the metods of any kind of feeding in order from the most helpful to the less....and when and how better to do it? (all of the hatchng are 4-3 days after first skin change )

Rich in KY
08-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Nanci suggested many things.

Have you tried scenting the pinkies with tuna water?

danart
08-28-2008, 03:49 AM
yes i know its lot of things...im going to try all that... but answer please all the else

Rich in KY
08-28-2008, 12:20 PM
There is no best method.

You just need to try different things every 3-4 days until something works.

You definitely need to feed them in a small space, like a deli cup or paper bag.

If it were me, I would offer them dead pinkies that have been brained (a hole cut or poked in the head) next.

Blue Apple Herps
08-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I agree, you just need to keep trying different things. For instance in the past I've had great success with tuna juice scenting. This year not a single non-feeder has eaten a tuna juice pinky. However this year most of the problem feeders ate with tease feeding, something that in the past I've never had much luck with.

Just keep trying different things. And I don't want to be negative, but at the end of the day, not every single one may be meant to survive. It sucks, but is life.

Nanci
08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Are they set up in their own containers, on paper towel, something like that? I guess I'd try super hot pink, with slits on the back, in the baby's own tiny home or in a very small feeding container, after dark, covered up, and check in one hour. If not eaten, reheat to very, very hot, brain the pink, leave overnight, covered, without disturbing.

Don't get discouraged, the non-feeders may still not be hungry due to still absorbing the egg yolk.

danart
08-29-2008, 02:49 AM
ok thx if there will be a problem in 10 days...ill make thread...

kathylove
08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
If you have access to anyone breeding any species of wild rodent, try getting some dirty bedding and putting the live pinks under the dirty bedding for a minute or two. The scent of wild mice seems to help a lot on my non feeders here.

toddis
08-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Whew, glad I found this thread. Same thing is happening in my neck of the woods. I had 12 hatchlings at around the 16th of Aug...
9 out 12 have eaten f/t while the other 3 could care less.

How long can a hatchling survive w/o eating? If its 50 days, I may consider force feeding at around 45 days.

Also, when do snakes start to show their true colors. Mine all were the same dull greyish black upon hatching. The mama is an orange while the daddy is more of a burnt darkish orange.

If my pic post works, I have the mama temporarily posing with her brood.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff49/toddis_photos/DSCorns.jpg

snakist91
09-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm also glad I've found this thread extremely useful, I have 3 non-feeders out of 10. I haven't yet tried any of the methods suggested but tonight I'm going to try the non-feeders in a small container with the dead pink. If that doesn't work I shall go onto the tuna water scent. I was just wondering if someone could give a brief description of the tease feeding? Thanks

ghosthousecorns
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
I wrote a how to post a while back
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54474

toddis
09-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Down to one non-eater. I got one to eat a skink I found. Hopefully, next feeding will be a pink...if not, skinks are abundant around here.