PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE: Forest Floor samples!!

BEWARE: Forest Floor samples!!

Jadie.Glitch
08-27-2008, 04:49 PM
I recently received a few "ZooMed: Forest Floor" substrate samples, and every tank that I put the sample in was COVERED in bugs about 4 days afterward. I got these samples at the Portland Metro Reptile Expo in Portland, Oregon. I don't know if is was JUST these samples, or if all of ZooMed's Forest Floor substrate is infested.

I think the bug were mites. They were VERY small (smaller than fleas) and were EVERYWHERE. I removed my snakes, dumped everything, and then sanitized their homes. I know it was the substrate and not just a coincidence because I have 7 different snake homes, and only the three that I put the samples in had any bugs in them.

Has anyone else had this happen? Should I call ZooMed and complain?? Should I be worries about them coming back now that we've had an outbreak??

Thanks!

TripleMoonsExotic
08-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I bake all "dirt" type substrates before I use them because of possible bug infestations. Better safe then to potentially bring bugs into the house. :)

Couldn't hurt to say something to ZooMed about it.

ghosthousecorns
08-27-2008, 04:53 PM
The bugs were probably not snake mites, but this isn't the first time I've heard of bark substrate with those little wood lice or whatever they are. They shouldn't hurt your snake, just a PITA! If you have a little magnifying glass you can inspect them more closely to confirm if they are mites or not.
If it was a free sample what good is complaining other than getting it off your chest and letting them know there was a problem, it's not like they would owe you a refund. When you get something for free you get what you get.. I'd probably be more likely to complain if I had paid for it.
:-offtopic PS did u get the bumper sticker yet?

LBoz
08-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Someone else also suggested freezing. I 'nuke all of those coconut bricks that expand as I've always ended up with gnats hatching out of them.

I agree with TME, I'd let them know about it.

ghosthousecorns
08-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Someone else also suggested freezing. I 'nuke all of those coconut bricks that expand as I've always ended up with gnats hatching out of them.

I HATE those little gnats! I get them in the moss sometimes... I thought boiling water would kill them but I will try nuking it next time.

Nanci
08-27-2008, 05:04 PM
After all the trouble they go to to make an authentic product, you kill the bigs??? :-)

TripleMoonsExotic
08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
After all the trouble they go to to make an authentic product, you kill the bigs???

This coming from the one who wants a lizard that's primary diet isn't bugs. :laugh:

LBoz
08-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I HATE those little gnats! I get them in the moss sometimes... I thought boiling water would kill them but I will try nuking it next time.

Jen, you probably already know this, but me, being the dumbhead that I am, did not always know that you need to put a cup of water in the microwave when nuking something dry. Exploding driftwood...well...you'll need a change of underwear if you're not expecting it. ;)

Nanci - *you need to spread some rep around...yada yada* but thanks for that belly laugh!

ghosthousecorns
08-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Yikes! Thanks for warning me. I am noob to log nuking...

Jadie.Glitch
08-27-2008, 05:15 PM
The bugs were probably not snake mites, but this isn't the first time I've heard of bark substrate with those little wood lice or whatever they are. They shouldn't hurt your snake, just a PITA! If you have a little magnifying glass you can inspect them more closely to confirm if they are mites or not.
If it was a free sample what good is complaining other than getting it off your chest and letting them know there was a problem, it's not like they would owe you a refund. When you get something for free you get what you get.. I'd probably be more likely to complain if I had paid for it.
:-offtopic PS did u get the bumper sticker yet?

Yeah, I wouldn't be complaining and expecting a "refund" or anything... just to let them know in case it was in there facilities that the infestation began.

(and "maybe" about the bumpersticker. I haven't checked the PO Box yet, lolz ~_^)

I am ordering the coconut bricks today (funny coincidence :rolleyes:) and I am curious as to when you bake them. Do you soak them and THEN bake them or did you bake the whole block BEFORE you soaked them...?

LBoz
08-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I actually bake it prior to expanding it. I buy them by the three pack, so I put them all in the microwave with a cup of water and nuke them for 3 minutes. You can probably get away with less, but I'm anal.

Jadie.Glitch
08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
OOhhh, microwave. Yeah, I was gonna bake it in the oven but the microwave sounds much faster...

RicardoCruz005
09-03-2008, 06:32 AM
I'd be awfully pissed off if something like that happened to me. Give them a call and let them know ;)

Sarynkitamo
09-03-2008, 06:36 AM
I got one of those coconut bricks with Jasper's viv. I don't know if I did it wrong or what, but it seemed awfully wet/damp and after an hour or so I wound up pulling it out. Still got the stuff in a white plastic container somewhere, but I think I prefer aspen.

Jadie.Glitch
09-03-2008, 04:28 PM
I personally prefer the coconut... it just looks more natural and it's done everything I could ask of a good substrate. I have never used aspen though, so I might be surprised. Maybe I'll try it one of these times... Thanks all!!