PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Braining Please

Advice on Braining Please

starsevol
09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey all,

I have been breeding for awhile, but until recently they have all been normals and amels. Any that did not eat f/t immediately were given to someone I know who owns a petshop, and he has a pretty good success rate with non feeders.
Anyway, I am having rotten luck establishing a few of the bubs this year. So far I have offered f/t twice, and washed once. The next logical step is to offer brained. I have never tried this! I am also very squeamish, and the thought of doing this is not appealing AT ALL! LOL
Any advice would be MOST appreciated. I'm not sure if its better to do it to a frozen pink, or one that is already thawed.
Thanx in advance :)

LBoz
09-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Here's a thread that might help:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62710&highlight=braining+mice

Nanci
09-02-2008, 01:12 PM
It's not as bad as it sounds. (But have you tried slitting?) You can use a toothpick, or a fingernail scissors, and just poke a small hole in the head (the skull isn't even formed) and stir it around a little and if you're really brave, get some out and smear it around. But I don't think you have to do that part. You could also take a small scissors and just cut the back of the head, like you were slitting. It's not like brains come gushing out- you'll do fine!

diamondlil
09-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I actually just 'squish' the head of the f/t pink a little, so a drop of blood and brain appears at the nostrils.

ghosthousecorns
09-02-2008, 01:44 PM
I just poke a hole with a safety pin and then squish a bit until I see a droplet form. I used to be more grossed out by it but I have had to do it enough times to be kind of desensitized to the ewww factor.

starsevol
09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanx everyone,
I have read "how" to do it a few hundred times, but there's nothing like the advice of those who have been there!

Drizzt80
09-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I just poke a hole with a safety pin and then squish a bit until I see a droplet form. I used to be more grossed out by it but I have had to do it enough times to be kind of desensitized to the ewww factor.It's kinda like poppin' a zit. :wavey:

D80

Nanci
09-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Just think of it as "mouse juice," yummy, like when you cut into a steak and juice comes out!!! Mmmm. It doesn't look like what it is, at all.