PDA

View Full Version : Corn rattler

Corn rattler

rudie
09-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi all, I am new to this whole snake thing. My interest is rather in fish where I bred marines and propogated corals.
With this in mind I learned that reading alot on the subject is the best pre-preperation. OK back to the subject.

So I got this corn snake for free from one of my clients, actually it's for my 6 year old son who absolutely endores reptiles. I got the viv with heating pad, bowl the works. The corn is about 1 m long and this Wednesday night it was the first feeding night with 3 weaners, life I may add as he does not eat anything not moving. The days before this he was very calm, my son could take him out, I could, even my daughter. He would just respond to the movement but once picked up he relax.

NOW, as he was finishing his third weaner I was busy outside the viv putting the sliding lock back on when he curled up and went at my hand from the inside (ek het in my broek gekak), this translated into English mean "it scared the cr@p out of me". Together with this was the rattling of the tail. Now do you guys and girls think this is just because he was in hunting mode or was he pissed off. This morning, 2 days later is seems to be calm again, I told my son that we are not allowed to handle the snake for at least two days after he ate. Try telling that to a 6 year old.

Here is a picture of the little gem.
http://www.hookedonline.co.za/general/snake.gif

norm
09-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Never get between a snake and their food. You are likely to get bit. I use tongs to feed because they will sometimes hit your hand when going for a mouse.

Two days is a good rule, but it's not due to aggression. You need to allow time for digestion. Handling the snake after eating can cause regurgitation.

v_various
09-08-2008, 05:24 PM
yep, no handling for 48 hours or risk re-gurge. But you can handle him before he eats just fine, so that should count for something.

After he eats take it slow - every snake is different and yours sounds like it doesn't want to be bother after eating. Before you pick him back up give him a few minutes to settle after he's finished, he'll calm down.

Spurticus
09-08-2008, 07:53 PM
not really pissed, but it probably still smelled the mouse on your hand and seeing motion, it just mistook your hand or finger for a live mouse. And when they feed, they are definitely in Hunt mode, before, during and after they eat.

I told this story once before and it's funny when you think about it, but I was feeding my snake one day, and my Grandson was down visiting, and got a kick out of watching the snake eat.
After he was through feeding, he curled up in the corner and I decided to take a quick opportunity to straighten the substrait he had burrowed around in the last couple of days. This was in a 30" long aquarium and he was in one corner watching me, and I was on the other side of the tank tidying up a bit so I thought I was safe . . . . . . BIG MISTAKE. He mistook my and moving around the substrait and the smell of the mouse still in the tank and before I could blink, this little _ _ _ _ fired across the width of the tank and tagged me on my thumb. . .WELL, my grandson freaked and ran down the hall yelling "Grandma, Grandma, The snake bit Papa" !!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Spurticus
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
BTW

Been told that pretty much all snakes will shake their tails when they're very nervous or frightend. (just like rattlesnakes)

RicardoCruz005
09-11-2008, 06:41 AM
BTW

Been told that pretty much all snakes will shake their tails when they're very nervous or frightend. (just like rattlesnakes)

Thats true.

My corn never did it, ( I've had him for about a year ).

However, my california striped king has on many occasions rattled at me. I highly doubt its aggrivation, it only seems to happen if I surprise him on accident and stuff like that. ( Closing the lid to his viv too loudly, picking him up and he slithers out of my hand only to have me grab him again )

RobbiesCornField
09-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Most of my corns rattle their tail if scared, or defensive (aka feeding).

Eli173
09-11-2008, 01:15 PM
One of my males is very defensive after he eats. I feed in a seperate tub so when he's done I just let him crawl from his feeding tub back to his viv. It takes a few minutes but it's less stressful for both parties involved. ;)

Jevard
09-17-2008, 01:07 AM
One of my males is very defensive after he eats. I feed in a seperate tub so when he's done I just let him crawl from his feeding tub back to his viv. It takes a few minutes but it's less stressful for both parties involved. ;)

im told and agree to it that you should feed in a sperate tub!!!!! if you dont the snake may get the idea of the top opening and/or your hand going in to mean food is coming! and if thats not the case. you may get snapped at or bit on a routine cage clean or just taking it out to be held