• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scenting with raw chicken?

Tula_Montage

It's Jager time!
I have found the perfect trick to get a bunch of my friends non feeder hatchlings to eat. They strike feed for me on chick toes and chick scented pinkie parts. Now I have run out of chicks but I am picking up another bag sometime next week. They are due fed tonight and I know they won't eat if I offer them just pinkies. So my question is can I use raw chicken fillets to scent the pinkies and actually feed raw chicken bits? Or would the risk of spreading disease to the snakes be too much? I know some people feed their snakes raw meat, but I just wanted to hear some opinions...

Elle, I have used chicken broth to scent pinkies. I've never tried chicken parts. I don't know if snakes are susceptible to salmonella or not.

Elle, I think you can ask for a whole chicken at the grocery store (to get the feet off it and stuff). For scenting.

But are you asking if the raw chicken is safe for the snake?

Someone just gave me the same advice the other day...to use chicken blood. I don't exactly have access to that on a regular basis, but I was also wondering about the raw chicken use and if it was safe for ingestion by the snake.

Now you guys are confusing me. I don't want to use any chicken alternatives like broth or gravy. I KNOW they will eat chick scented food items. But I don't have chicks, so can I use a piece of raw chicken meat to scent the pinkies?

Elle, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you. You don't cook do you.

My guess would be that snakes can probably handle chicken juice better than you and I. If you can't get chicken feet, I'd try rubbing it on a chicken bubba and see if they will go for it.

I can't remember who told me about this, but they said they used the skin from a chicken to wrap around pinkies and scent them.
I've been meaning to buy some - I could use the skin for scenting AND have a nice BBQ :)

Yes, you can use a piece of raw chicken to scent your pinks. Yes, your snakes run the minimal risk of getting Salmonella from raw chicken (but you've been taking the same risks with the chicks you've been using). Yes, chicken has been used as a diet for corn snakes, both whole chicks and pieces of adult chickens (Vinman used that diet for years).

Yes, you can use a piece of raw chicken to scent your pinks. Yes, your snakes run the minimal risk of getting Salmonella from raw chicken (but you've been taking the same risks with the chicks you've been using). Yes, chicken has been used as a diet for corn snakes, both whole chicks and pieces of adult chickens (Vinman used that diet for years).

Thats exactly what I thought.

Vinman boils his chicken and meat pieces first does he not?

I think there's a whole thread on what Vinman uses, but I don't remember if he cooked it first. I'm pretty sure that he did though.

I've used skin from pre-cooked chicken (rotissery chicken) and it worked very well. Just rubbed a bit of the inside of the skin on the pink. Nommin'g ensued.

Good luck.

Well so far 23 out of 27 have refused frozen/thawed, just heads, brained and washed pinks.
Tonight we are having baked chicken. I plan to try dipping the head of a thawed pink in the grease. Yummy......

I tried using broth dipped pinks and it works on some (Elle, just get a can of Chicken Noodle soup and pour a little bit of broth out).

For those that have refused dipped pinks, but showed interest, I have a small trick to avoid feeding them strait chicken. I cut a tiny tiny sliver of chicken and tie it onto the pinkie using a small strand of my hair. I would advice using hair that hasn't been color treated or has any styling products on it. The strand is digestable, and they still get the chicken smell to entice them to eat the pink, but are also being desensitized to pinkies as well. I've found that it is much easier to switch them over. :)

Back