PDA

View Full Version : non-RI causes of wheezing?

non-RI causes of wheezing?

sparklewumpus
09-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello all. I'm new to this forum.

I've had my sweet corn snake James for a few months--he's 3 years old, I inherited him from someone who couldn't care for him anymore.

A few weeks ago, I noticed him wheezing and was concerned about pneumonia. He'd had a wet spot in his cage from tipping his water bowl. Also, he was on Aspen shavings, which I noticed made _me_ sneeze a little. Sooo...I took him to the vet, and he went through a series of Fortraz injections. Corrected the wet spot issue (bought heavier bowl) and changed to paper shavings just in case that was it.

About 2 weeks after his last injection, the wheezing is back--it's not/has never been constant, just the occasional whistle sound, occasionally a sneeze, but I'm still worried. His temperatures are around 75-85 (gradient) and humidity is usually around 40-60%. I don't really know what could possibly be wrong with his environment at this point, and the antibiotic doesn't seem to have worked. :-(

Are there any things other than respiratory infection that can cause a wheezing?

Oh, and, he hasn't had any perceptible mucus, gaping, vertical positioning, bubbling, etc. Just the wheeze. He's eating well and activity levels are normal, (although he's never been particularly active). Sorry for the long post--thanks for any advice...

-Sparklewumpus

sparklewumpus
09-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Any ideas? I will probably end up taking him back to the vet in the next couple days but I feel like I'm tormenting him unnecessarily with antibiotic shots if it's something else. Are there any other things I could ask the vet to rule out?

Thanks

Nanci
09-09-2008, 02:46 PM
When you had the initial treatment, did the vet test her for specificity- which bacteria caused the RI? Because I think the drug used to treat has to be targeted for the specific bacteria, and that is much more effective than a broad-based antibiotic. So maybe it isn't quite cleared up.

Also, prior to shed, there can be loose skin in the nostrils that causes a whistling noise.

If he still has a RI, Snake Whispera SR had a thread on using a nebulizer to administer drugs for RI- he talked about a drug I am not familiar with, but it tells the name in that thread, and it apparently works very well. You could read that thread or maybe PM him and find out the details, and then discuss that type of treatment with your vet- if the snake actually does still have a RI.

sparklewumpus
09-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi Nanci, thanks for your reply.

No, no bacterial culture was done (although, he has no mucus, so I guess that might make a culture difficult?)

I read somewhere about loose scales around the nose, but he has shed since this started, so that doesn't seem to be it. :-/

Waiting on a call back from the vet. I'll look at the nebulizer thread...

Nanci
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I believe they can do a tracheal wash to collect the specimen.

Allison
09-10-2008, 02:14 AM
My boy Cortez is perfectly healthy, but under exercise he gets the wheeze and occasional sneeze. This has happened ever since I bought him as an adult in '01.
He underwent a series of antibiotic shots from the vet but nothing cleared up the "Mystery wheeze", so I was advised that he might have a old injury that is causing the problem. :shrugs:
I hope your girl turns out to be just fine.:)

sparklewumpus
09-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks Nanci and Allison. I haven't heard the wheeze for a couple of days. I took him back to the vet today and she mentioned the nebulizer thing, we're going to try that with just saline at first to sooth any irritation that could be there (if dry skin, etc. is the cause) and a different antibiotic if the noise persists. He's eating very well and seems perfectly healthy otherwise, and I don't want to do the more invasive tests if it's not warranted...